- On Tuesday, April 25, 2001, a very strange object is
reported by civilians and law enforcement officers in the evening skies
near Waynesville, Ohio in Warren County.
- From their residence near the 4600 Block of Wilkerson
Road, a husband and wife are the first to report a circular lighted object
hovering silently in the sky to the south of their location. The big light
of the UFO, pulsating or changing in both color and brightness, was said
to be encased within a structure that resembled gridwork or cabling. The
couple advised the Lebanon City Police Department of the object around
10:15 p.m. and the Warren County Communications Center dispatched a Waynesville
police officer to the location.
- Upon arrival at the scene, the Waynesville officer confirmed
the unidentifiable nature of the object and also reported that a second
UFO was also in the area.
- As other officers respond to the location and continue
to view the abnormalities, dispatchers at the Warren County Communications
Center telephone a base operator at Wright Patterson Air Force Base in
Dayton/Fairborne, Ohio and also places a call to Airborne Express at the
Wilmington Airport in Clinton County, Ohio. Both flight control facilities
deny any knowledge of or responsibility for air traffic in the Waynesville,
Ohio vicinity during the incident.
- While the Waynesville police officers view the object
from Wilkerson Road looking south, a police dispatcher also observes the
same object from her position at the Warren County Communications Center
in Lebanon, Ohio, looking north toward Waynesville. From review of the
police tapes, it can be estimated that the primary object may have been
in a general location between Waynesville and Lebanon near the intersections
of Pekin Road and Route 42.
- An officer with the Caesar's Creek State Police also
notes the UFO from his location to the east of Waynesville. A third UFO
is sighted in the area during the event, and the police witnesses repeatedly
affirm a cogent distinction between the suspected UFOs and routine stars
and airplanes. The objects move off by receding further into the distance
as other officers from the Ohio State Patrol arrive on the scene.
- Dispatchers at the Ohio State Patrol and the Warren County
Communications Center express frustration at having to handle this situation
and their inability to address the reports and eyewitness confirmation
from their officers.
- The next evening, Wednesday, April 25, UFOs are again
reported in the same area at 9:48 p.m., viewed from Wilkerson Road and
also by officers observing from a location near the Waynesville Airport.
Disturbingly, another unusual object is seen in the area seven hours later
and reportedly pursues a motorist near Genntown, Ohio (about 5-miles from
Waynesville). A female complainant advises the Ohio State Patrol of her
'extreme concern' regarding a triangular object with "super bright
lights" that pursued her automobile while traveling on Route 122 at
5:00 a.m., April 26.
- These and other details were acquired from eyewitness
interviews, analysis of various police reports and evaluation of police
tapes acquired through the Warren County Director of Emergency Services.
Additional data was gathered through field investigation conducted on April
27th and April 28th.
- Consideration has been given to the possibility that
this situation was engendered by a misperception of routine stars and planets
by both civilians and police officers on both evenings. This theory was
first advanced by Peter Davenport of the National UFO Reporting Center,
who was advised of the incident by the Ohio State Patrol while the sighting
was in progress. The star 'Sirius' was identified by Davenport as a likely
candidate for misperception, but after sober review of the police tapes
acquired from the Warren County Department of Emergency Services, this
attempt at explanation is not looked upon favorably.
- INVESTIGATION LOG (NOTE: These entries will appear on
the website URL listed below when finalized)
- Initial Investigation Interview with primary witnesses
Correspondence and additional police inquiries Field Investigation Transcript
of police tapes Correspondence from O.S.P. regarding videotapes Map of
area Photographs of area Drawing of object
- TRANSCRIPT OF TAPES
- Note: The police tapes of the April 24th incident were
- on May 15, 2001 from Carol Sigler, Warren County Director
- Emergency Services after written request to her office.
- were assembled from the various 'tracks' and edited for
- and privacy considerations, and also arranged in presumed
- chronological order.
- Section ONE: Initial call
- WCCC Dispatcher #1: Warren County Police and Fire, this
- LEBANON DISPATCHER: Hey this is Lebanon, P.D.
- WCCC Dispatcher: Hey.
- LEBANON DISPATCHER: Did you get any reports of UFOs in
- WCCC Dispatcher #1: Not yet, how about you?
- LEBANON DISPATCHER: Huh? Yeah!
- WCCC Dispatcher #1: Oh really?
- LEBANON DISPATCHER: Actually from a lady on Wilkerson
- Waynesville, to the far, far south of her, she sees a
- colored disk.
- WCCC Dispatcher oooh!
- LEBANON DISPATCHER: And I'm not sure where Wilkerson
Road is but
- I'm going to let my guys know about it to see if they
- anything but I wondered if you had any reports.
- WCCC Dispatcher #1: Wilkerson Road, did she give her
- LEBANON DISPATCHER: 4636, she said it's been there for
- it's not doing anything.
- WCCC Dispatcher #1: She said she's seen a disk in the
- LEBANON DISPATCHER: It's a bright she thought it was
a plane at
- first but she says it's a bright colored disk.
- WCCC Dispatcher #1: Okay.
- LEBANON DISPATCHER: Allrighty.
- WCCC Dispatcher #1: I'll send the officers out that way
- SECTION 2: Dispatch
- WCCC Dispatcher #2: Two-William-Thirty a U.F.O.!
- Unit #2W30: Go ahead.
- WCCC Dispatcher #2: 4-6-3-6 Wilkerson Road, 4636 Wilkerson
- the complainant apparently called the Lebanon P.D. ,advising
- see a bright colored disk in the sky.
- Unit #2W30 (laughing): clear!
- WCCC Dispatcher #2: So you're clear at 22:17.
- Unit #2W30: This is Unit #2-William-30, what was the
- that U.F.O.?
- WCCC Dispatcher #2: 4-6-3-6 Wilkerson Road, 4636 Wilkerson
- this is back a long lane straight off of Wilkerson Road
- South Main Street and the dead end.
- Unit #2W30: Clear.
- SECTION 3: Citizen complaint
- WCCC Dispatcher #3: Warren County Police and Fire, Tonya?
- COMPLAINANT: Oh, this is Warren County?
- WCCC Dispatcher #3: Yes Ma'am.
- COMPLAINANT: I had just called Lebanon, we were wondering
- anyone had reported anything in the sky, there is a light
- the south here and it's not moving and we were wondering
- anybody had reported any strange thing.
- WCCC Dispatcher #3: You're at 4636 Wilkerson?
- COMPLAINANT: Yeah, you got it.
- WCCC Dispatcher #3: Okay, Lebanon had just called us
- information and we've got an officer on the way out to
- out. It's in the sky to the south of you?
- COMPLAINANT: Yeah, it's still there. Is he coming out
- WCCC Dispatcher #3: He's coming out to the area to see
- can't see what you're seeing.
- COMPLAINANT: Oh, well okay.
- WCCC Dispatcher #3: Allrighty.
- COMPLAINANT: Sure, thank you. Bye bye.
- SECTION 4: Verification by officers
- WCCC Dispatcher #2: Two-William Thirty, Two William Thirty-One,
- 3-7 @ 22:23, Unit #2W30 break. We've "public service"
- residence and they advise the object is stationary in
- Unit #2W30: Okay
- WCCC Dispatcher #2: Just south of the residence, in the
- Unit #2W30: Hey Brad, check back in there to see if that's
- LOCAL: William 30, Robert 50 local. William 30, Robert
- Unit #2W30: Go ahead local.
- LOCAL: Okay, I gotta ask.
- Unit #2W30: Okay, uh yeah. Are you tied up?
- LOCAL: WHAT IS IT!
- Unit #2W30: I have NO IDEA, and you wouldn't believe
it if you
- came out and saw it! There's two of them, just sitting
- and blinking, I mean about five different colors, right
- Wilkerson, just off of South Main Street!
- FEMALE OFFICER: This is 480-16
- Unit #2W30: I'm not kidding! Go ahead.
- FEMALE OFFICER: Okay, we're on the backside of that,
here in the
- lot because I couldn't stand it no more. Where is it
at, is it in
- the air?
- Unit #2W30: In the air! Okay? He's got the owner of the
- has some binoculars and we're looking at these things
- it's just I don't know what they are! They're high up,
- like uh, they're up there but with our binoculars though,
- ones he's got here, you can see them pretty clearly.
- probably five different colors, there's two of them and
- stayed in the exact same spot the whole time. They're
- I can tell you that.
- FEMALE OFFICER #2: This is 480-16, can we come back there
- you? We are enroute and have spotted what you're talking
- Unit #2W30: I have no idea what it is.
- LOCAL: Okay, I'm looking that way from the office and
I can't see
- anything from up here.
- Unit #2W30: Okay, now there's a plane flying over right
- would be, I don't know if you could see that or not.
- LOCAL: Does the plane have flashing red lights?
- Unit #2W30: now right behind that, or to the left of
it a little
- bit, that's it.
- LOCAL: Would it be below the plane?
- Unit #2W30: Well the plane is directly overhead of us
now, so I
- can't really tell.
- LOCAL: Okay, I can tell the plane you are talking about
- up here I can't see anything else but a star.
- Unit #2W30: You wouldn't believe it.
- LOCAL: Can you see that with your eyes or do you have
- binoculars to see it?
- Unit #2W30: I can see the flashing and everything with
- you get the binoculars and you can really see it.
- LOCAL: I think I know what you're talking about, I'm
- see if I can see it with my pair of binoculars.
- Unit #2W30: It looks like an orange, kind of a blue,
a purple and
- a red almost with a green.
- FEMALE OFFICER: Are you straight back toward the house?
- Unit #2W30: Come all the way back here, way back on the
- you'll see us standing here on the wall.
- FEMALE OFFICER: All the way back by the picnic?
- Unit #2W30: I see your lights now.
- FEMALE OFFICERS: Okay.
- LOCAL: You've got some pretty lights, anyway.
- Unit #2W30: You see it now?
- LOCAL: Affirmative, I've got a small pair of binoculars,
- definitely see the different colored lights anyway.
- Unit #2W30: Yeah, that's really uhhh the resident's told
- they've never seen it before so it's not like it's been
- LOCAL: Okay, there's two of them, right?
- Unit #2W30: The other one is just a little higher to
the right of
- the one that's low, or right by the treeline.
- LOCAL: I'm not going to call it.
- Unit #2W30: I'm not either, I'm not going to even go
- I I don't know what it is.
- LOCAL: I can get blue, green, red and white lights is
- Unit #2W30: That's what I am seeing.
- LOCAL: But we're not really seeing anything.
- SECTION 5: WCCC Inquiry w/WPAFB
- WPAFB: Operator?
- WCCC Dispatcher #3: Hi, this is Tonya, I'm a Warren County
- and Fire dispatch?
- WPAFB: Yeah.
- WCCC Dispatcher #3: We've got a Waynesville officers
out in the
- area of Wilkerson Road and they see an object in the
sky a disk
- shape with multi-colored lights that is stationary in
the air. Do
- you have somebody doing maneuvers down here?
- WPAFB: And where are you?
- WCCC Dispatcher #3: Warren County. He's in Waynesville
and I'm in
- WPAFB: No, we don't have anybody out there as far as
- WCCC Dispatcher #3: Okay.
- WPAFB: Allright.
- WCCC Dispatcher #3: Okay, thank you. Bye bye.
- SECTION 6: O.S.P. Dispatch
- WCCC Dispatcher #2: We called Wright Pat, they don't
- in the area doing maneuvers or anything.
- Okay at 22:35.
- Unit #2A51: Two Adam 51?
- WCCC Dispatcher #2: Two Adam 51.
- Unit #2A 51: I'm out here with him.
- WCCC Dispatcher #2: Three-seven, 22:35. Two-William Thirty?
- Unit #2W30: Two-William Thirty, go ahead.
- WCCC Dispatcher #2: For your information, we also notified
- in reference to the incident.
- WCCC Dispatcher #3: I got "The State."
- O.S.P. Dispatcher: State Patrol, this is Taylor.
- WCCC Dispatcher #3: Hi, it's Tonya over at "the
County." I've got
- a U.F.O. for you.
- O.S.P. Dispatcher: LAUGHING.
- WCCC Dispatcher #3: I'm serious.
- O.S.P. Dispatcher: I know you are, I've been hearing
stuff on the
- WCCC Dispatcher #3: They say if it's in the air, baby,
- O.S.P. Dispatcher: So where's it at? (Laughs)
- WCCC Dispatcher #3: 4636 Wilkerson Road.
- O.S.P. Dispatcher: Has it landed?
- WCCC Dispatcher #3: No, it hasn't landed. The only 'little
- man' is the Waynesville officer that's out there.
- O.S.P. Dispatcher: Has he seen it?
- WCCC Dispatcher #3: Yeah, they're adamant it's in the
- it's got multicolored lights & stuff on it. There's
two of them.
- We've called Wright Pat, they're not doing maneuvers.
- know what it is.
- O.S.P. Dispatcher: All right, I'll send them.
- WCCC Dispatcher #3: But it's yours!
- O.S.P. Dispatcher: Like what are we going to do if it
- WCCC Dispatcher #3: Hey, I can call the National UFO
- Center, or better yet, give you the number.