- LONDON (IRNA) - A leading
British rabbi has criticised Israel as the "last colonial power in
the world" and questioned whether it was time for Judaism and Zionism
to go their separate ways.
- According to the London Jewish Chronicle, Rabbi David
Goldberg said that many Jews faced a "crisis of conscience" and
also attacked the policies of Israeli leader Ariel Sharon.
- Anyone who believes that Sharon and a Likud government
would willingly cede an inch of land "must also imagine that the present
Pope is a Jew who will sanction birth control and married priests,"
he was quoted saying.
- The rabbi from St. John's Wood Liberal Synagogue in London
warned it was a "pivotal moment in Israeli-diaspora affairs"
when Jews were being called upon to support the Zionist regime, which had
"long since vacated the moral high ground."
- Some would say the time had come for Judaism and Zionism
to go "their separate ways," he suggested.