- (CNN) -- Traces of anthrax have been found in a building
at the Central Intelligence Agency in Langley, Virginia, where incoming
mail is sorted, U.S. officials tell CNN.
- The amount of anthrax detected in what officials say
were highly sensitive and sophisticated tests was "medically
an official said, but the building has been closed until further testing
and cleaning can be done.
- Officials say 31 different sites in the mail receiving
building and the CIA's main mailroom have been checked since October 23.
Only one site tested positive for anthrax.
- No CIA personnel have tested positive for anthrax
however antibiotics have been offered to all staff handling mail in bulk
and to any other interested employees of the agency.
- Like many other U.S. agencies, the CIA receives its mail
via the Brentwood post office facility in Washington, where two postal
workers have died from inhalation anthrax and a number of others are being
treated in hospitals.
- Anthrax apparently spread through the U.S. mail has
at least 13 individuals, three of whom have died.
Site Served by TheHostPros