- Mathematicians argue that coincidences occur a lot more
often than most people believe. And who am I to argue with anybody who
- Nevertheless, there are a number of coincidences involved
in the war on terrorism.
- It is a coincidence that there are large oil and gas
reserves in South Asian countries north of Afghanistan whose governments
we have recently provided with undisclosed millions of dollars, allegedly
for the use of old Soviet air bases.
- It is a coincidence that the logical route for pipelines
runs through Afghanistan and Pakistan.
- Therefore, I suppose it is a further coincidence that
the United States suddenly has an interest in not only getting rid of Osama
bin Laden, but with replacing the government in Afghanistan.
- And it is another coincidence that after nearly 10 years
of dumping on Pakistan, we have suddenly re-embraced that country as one
of our best friends.
- And it is a final coincidence, and one that prompted
this column, that the Central Command has just stated publicly that when
the war in Afghanistan ends, it doesnít mean there won't be a need
for a U.S. military presence in the region.
- I suppose it is only a coincidence that we end up with
a permanent military presence in the vicinity of huge gas and oil reserves,
and that countries with oil and gas that think those resources should
them, rather than people in London and New York, end up on our enemies
- The previous dictator of Sudan, for example, was just
as enthusiastic about slaughtering rebels in the south as the current
But he had cut a deal with an American oil company. And, by coincidence,
the United States thought Sudan worthy of American military protection.
The present government tossed out the American oil company along with the
dictator and is now doing business with the Chinese. Hence, by coincidence,
Sudan has become a big enemy, a sponsor of terrorism and a violator of
human rights - which, by coincidence, is a perfect description of the
- I don't mean to sound cynical. If our president says
his motivation is to save future generations from evildoers, I certainly
believe that he believes that. I'm not sure his idealism is shared by
in his administration.
- There is a cabal in the administration trying to make
a case for attacking Iraq by claiming Iraq had something to do with the
Sept. 11 attack. It is a coincidence that on Sept. 21, the British
The Daily Telegraph reported that Israeli intelligence officials said they
had not detected any link between Iraq and the Sept. 11 terrorist
- I'm sure they're better informed than the Saddam Hussein
lynch mob in Washington. Saddam, by coincidence, is one of those
who thinks oil profits should be invested in the Arab world to benefit
the Arab people rather than in London and New York. He is one more former
ally of the United States (oh, yes, we were all for him when he was
Iran) who has run afoul of the internationalists.
- It is naturally only a coincidence that all too often,
American foreign-policy objectives dovetail nicely with the economic
of multinational corporations.
- Originally published 11-29-01
Site Served by TheHostPros