- Researchers at the Cheshire-based British UFO Studies
Centre, which recently celebrated its 20th birthday, have been shocked
by the emergence of a new and remarkable video film of an anomalous object
captured by a Northwich man last on Sunday afternoon, July 9th 2000.
- The man saw the strange object in the sky at around 1400
and asked his wife to bring his video camera out so he could try and film
the phenomenon. He was able to capture what experts at the British UFO
Studies Centre say is the "best ever UFO film". UFO Magazine,Äôs
Russ Callaghan saw the footage on 16th July and says that it is ,Äúthe
best footage I have ever seen.,Äù
- The witness also recorded traffic using his frequency
scanner which clearly indicates the presence of civilian passenger aircraft
in the immediate vicinity at that time. There is a suggestion that aircraft
may have been diverted away from the area. BUFOSC believes that this raises
urgent issues relating to air safety.
- This sighting was followed on 12th July by a major incident
over nearby Stoke-on-Trent, where witnesses report seeing a UFO being ,Äúchased
by three aircraft and a Chinook helicopter,Äù. (There are a
number of major military exercises currently underway in the UK.)
- Eric Morris - BUFOSC Director - and Tim Matthews, well-known
author and researcher of mysteries both ancient and modern - have both
been amazed by the quality of the images, the clarity of the material and
the object itself. Morris notes the incidence of strange phenomena in
the South Manchester area and adds that Air Traffic Controllers they have
spoken to are aware that, in the past, military test vehicles strayed into
- "The best-known similar case was the so-called ,ÄòManchester
Near-Miss,Äô in January 1995 where two airline pilots made an
official report to the Civil Aviation Authority about a wedge-shaped object
that shot past their plane whilst on approach to Manchester International"
- But the researchers are not coming to any conclusions
yet; they have contacted the Ministry of Defence's Nick Pope, the man who
shot to prominence after challenging his employer's official line that
UFOs are of "no defence significance." Morris, Matthews and Pope,
who is actively assisting BUFOSC with its enquiries, all believe that UFOs
are of Extreme Defence Significance.
- There does not appear to be a prosaic explanation for
the object seen on film - and it is very similar to UFOs captured on film
in and around the Nellis Test Range, home to Area 51 in the Nevada Desert.
- Although the vast majority of UFO sightings - around
95% - are misidentifications of mundane phenomena, occasionally something
like this fires the imagination. Checks with Manchester Air Traffic Control,
the MOD and other official bodies are continuing but thus far nobody has
been able to shed light on this mystery.
- It is, of course, BUFOSC's view that if objects like
this are able to appear at will and operate in or near busy and restricted
airspace, then somebody must have an answer. Nevertheless, answers are
not often forthcoming...
- This may become the most famous UFO footage of all time.
- BUFOSC welcomes calls from the press and public via:
- Tel (01606) 330567/41617 Mobile (24hrs) (07944) 047195
and (07979) 261640 Email VMAUFO@cs.com and TMMatthews99@aol.com
- BUFOSC runs the National UFO Reports Centre.
Site Served by TheHostPros