- The following email message has been floating around
the internet. IT IS A HOAX! I just called the Jacksonville Police Dept.
There is no 'Captain Abraham Sands' of the Jacksonville, Florida Police
Department. Furthermore, whoever started this rumor is in some real trouble
if and when they track him/her down. JPD Intelligence is working on the
case. According to the JPD representative that I spoke with just moments
ago (6:45pm PST) this hoax is about a week old as of today, June 22, 2000.
So the only poke you'll get at the gas pump is the poke in the ass from
the price of the gas.
- HERE IS THE MESSAGE
(Remember, it has been confirmed a hoax!)
- <<My name is Captain Abraham Sands of the Jacksonville,
Florida Police Department. I have been asked by state and local authorities
to write this email in order to get the word out to car drivers of a very
dangerous prank that is occurring in numerous states.
- Some person or persons have been affixing hypodermic
needles to the underside of gas pump handles. These needles appear to be
infected with HIV positive blood. In the Jacksonville area alone there
have been 17 cases of people being stuck by these needles over the past
- We have verified reports of at least 12 others in various
states around the country. It is believed that these may be copycat incidents
due to someone reading about the crimes or seeing them reported on the
television. At this point no one has been arrested and catching the perpetrator(s)
has become our top priority.
- Shockingly, of the 17 people who where stuck, eight have
tested HIV positive and because of the nature of the disease, the others
could=20 test positive in a couple years.
- Evidently the consumers go to fill their car with gas,
and when picking up the pump handle get stuck with the infected needle.
IT IS IMPERATIVE TO CAREFULLY CHECK THE HANDLE of the gas pump each time
you use one. LOOK AT EVERY SURFACE YOUR HAND MAY TOUCH, INCLUDING UNDER
- If you do find a needle affixed to one, immediately contact
your local police department so they can collect the evidence.
- **PLEASE HELP US BY MAINTAINING A VIGILANCE AND BY FORWARDING
THIS EMAIL TO ANYONE YOU KNOW WHO DRIVES. THE MORE PEOPLE WHO KNOW OF THIS
THE BETTER PROTECTED WE CAN ALL BE. **
Site Served by TheHostPros