- From Stan Deyo <email@example.com>
- I have some older 8x10 photos of this same Pine Gap base
site. They have been available since 1980 (see Desmond Balls' book, "A
Valuable Piece of real Estate"). Your photos are definitely a later
or more current vintage. There are about four more dishes (balls) and a
heap of newer buildings. These new photos also show one of the many surface
entries to the base which is located deep underground and to the west of
the apparent location.
- The above ground portion is nothing more than a superficial
- almost movie set - decoration. The real base has a concentric arrangement
in which the central area is set on a massive set of springs for shock
absorbtion in case of nuclear attack or earthquake.
- The R&D which has been done below ground at the real
base site is truly remarkable.... The base has had an average of 1200 employees
over the years since 1964 when it was first commissioned. These have been
divided into three work areas concentric to the core platform. Each area
is tightly controlled by security systems.
- Persons working in one area must wear a certain color
of ID meant to match the color ribbon running along the walls everywhere.
Persons working in the outer area "C" never get into the areas
"B" and "A". Australian personnel at the base never
get past area "C" and usually have menial jobs. Former prime
Minister Gough Whitlam was deposed because he was going to try to get the
base closed. He was mainly angered because he couldn't find out what was
really going on inside the base.
- A number of well known aerospace companies including
Collins Radio and Texas Instruments of Dallas Texas have had facilities
there.... It was the cream of postings in the seventies. IBM, Collins,
TRW and E Systems were the primary contractors to start with but the group
grew over time.
- New Camelot in the Dowling Forest of Ballaratshire
- Victoria, AUSTRALIA 3352
- AUSTRALIAN Homepage
- Ballarat, Victoria)
- AMERICAN Homepages
- (Dallas, Texas)
- (Ventura, California)