- Monday, between 7:00pm and 9:00pm, many Beijing residents
were startled to spot four spiraling and sparkling unidentified flying
objects (UFOs) in the evening sky near Asian Games Village, Wa Li and Qing
He. Over 10 readers called local media about the strange appearance, Beijing
- At about 8:00pm, four sparkling UFOs appeared in the
southwest sky, but no strange noises accompanied them, according to observations
of one reporter.
- These unknown UFOs moved across a wide range and were
surrounded with a kind of light yellow brightness.
- According to a reporter's estimates, they were flying
at about 10 kilometres high. For most of the time the objects were visible,
they moved in two groups of two.
- At about 9:00pm, the UFOs disappeared under gradual cloud
- The UFOs attracted many people, with most saying they
had never seen such strange things.
- Though there are piles of reports about unknown flying
objects from home and abroad, nothing has yet been proven, according to
the deputy director of Beijing Planetarium surnamed Zhang.
- There has never been an official conclusion providing
a scientific explanation for UFOs, according to Zhang.
- Over the last hundred years, there have been more than
10,000 records of UFO sightings, according to Lan Songzhu, engineer of
Xinglong Observation Station of Beijing Astronomical Observatory.
- About 95 per cent of these sightings have been shown
to be phenomena related to astronomy, atmospheric or the globe magnetic
field. There is still no proof of the existence of extraterrestrial life,
- Lan said there UFOs come in four types. One is the appearance
of satellites, dust storms, meteor rains or sparkling clouds. The second
kind of UFO can be broken piece of a flying object. The third can be big
throngs of locust or butterflies. The last can be planes.