- Now Australians Are Seeing Flying Discs Sacramento Bee
July 8, 1947
- SYDNEY (Australia) (AP) Strange
tales of "flying saucers" were told in Sidney today and the Daily
Telegraph headlined the story, It Had To Happen Here.
- Several Sidney persons said that they had seen disc shaped
objects shooting across the sky last night or early today.
- E.J. Walters told the Telegraph and his wife saw two-"white
shiny and flat"
- "The night was so clear and bright we were able
to get a good look at them," he said. "They travelled very fast
in westerly direction."
- Jack Parker said the object he saw was slightly "brighter
then the moon," and appeared to be "travelling at a terrific
speed." He reported it left no trail.
- These manifestations came several hours after 22 Sidney
University students had reported glimpsing flying objects in an experiemnt
organized by physiology Professor Frank S. Cotton who said what they actually
saw was "the effect of red corpuscles of the blood passing in front
of the retina" of the eye. In all, 450 students took part in the experiment.
The others saw nothing unusual.
- The Daily Mirror reported a photographer and a reporter
on its staff tested the professor's theory and both saw "flying discs."