- Although some 80 percent of Palestinians in the Gaza
Strip live beneath the poverty line, there is no starvation in the territories
because Israel allows donations to be delivered there, Major General Amos
Gilad, Coordinator of Government Activities in the West Bank and Gaza,
told a meeting of senior government officials Sunday morning.
- His comments follow a U.S. message delivered last week
by Ambassador Dan Kurtzer that featured sharp criticism of Israel's failure
to implement humanitarian measures, and also of IDF activities in the territories.
- Gilad told those attending the meeting - Prime Minister
Ariel Sharon, Defense Minister Benjamin Ben-Eliezer, Foreign Minister Shimon
Peres and Finance Minister Silvan Shalom - that some two million Palestinians
depend upon international charity organizations.
- Following the meeting, government sources estimated that
Israel will take action to ease conditions on the Palestinian population
in the coming days.
- Attorney General Elyakim Rubinstein criticized the government
for transferring money that he said could end up in the hands of terrorist
organizations, without supervision and without reforms in the PA.
- Sharon emphasized that it was necessary to ensure that
the funds were not used to fund terror. He said would discuss the tax revenues
issue when he meets President George W. Bush in the White House later this
- Cabinet Secretary Gideon Saar said that Israel had taken
measures to ease conditions in the West Bank for residents not involved
in terror activities. But he added that, "It is extremely difficult
to create better conditions if the terror continues and the PA does not
do what it should do to stop it, and Israeli lives continue to be endangered."
- Ben-Eliezer calls for "bypassing" Arafat
- In a meeting with theduring his recent visit to Paris
he felt the hatred toward Israel. Minister Dan Meridor (Center) said that
he felt similar sentiments during a visit to London.
- Kurtzer delivers harsh U.S. message to Sharon
- U.S. Ambassador to Israel Dan Kurtzer delivered a message
to Sharon last week that featured sharp criticism of Israel's failure to
implement humanitarian measures, and also of IDF activities in the territories.
The American message accused Israel of violating its promises to relieve
economic and social distress in the territories, dismantle roadblocks and
lift some internal closures.
- The U.S. government accepts Israel's claim that closures
are needed to prevent terrorist infiltration. Yet Washington demands that
Israel reevaluate the utility of checkpoints, and that it ease restrictions
on movement between Palestinian cities in the "A" areas, which
are supposed to be under control of the PA. In response to recent incidents
in which Palestinian civilians were killed, Kurtzer's messions such as
the World Bank.
- From Kawthr Salam firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kawther Salam is an independent Palestinian journalist.
- Hi Jeff,
- On the 20th, July 2002, I send by fax to the Major General
Amos Gilad, Coordinator of the Government Activities in the West Bank and
Gaza, my question: "Where did you study lies? In which University?"
- Attach with the Mr. Iynn Gefsky, Press Officer of Washington,
D.C. Embassy of Israel concerning delaying my traveling to Vienna over
one month, for political reasons and claiming that I'm prohibited by the
Israeli Intelligence Shabak!!
- As a journalist, I know personally Major General Gilad,
his assistant Aviv and his spokesperson Offer Hakam. I know also, the General
Dov Tzadaka, who is representing Gilad activities in the DCL office in
- The Israeli strong propaganda taught them that they are
always right, and others are wrong, They reach the International organization
by making the truth up side down through spreading lies and false rumors.
- When the U.S. Ambassador Dan Kurtzer delivered sharp
criticism massage of Israel's failure to implement humanitarian measures,
and the IDF activities in the territories, Major General Gilad made his
denial comments claiming that there is no starvation in the territories
because Israel allows donations to be delivered there!!
- Actually, there is a real starvation in the West Bank
and Gaza Strip since before the last year; there is no humanitarian measures,
values and considerations under the Generals military policy.
- The percentage of unemployment increased the last year.
It reach 95% in Gaza strip and the territories. In some cities the percentage
growing more to reach 100%, such like Hebron, the old city the area H2
under the Israeli control.
- The Israelis imposed the curfew on this part since before
the "Intifada", over 600 days the Palestinians live under the
Israeli curfew, the military commander colonel Dror Wienberg, delivered
over 300 military orders closing the markets, the Palestinians shops and
occupying the rooftops of there houses.
- In Hebron, the area H2 under the Israeli control, there
is hundreds of extremely poor families depends on their daily food on a
volunteer meal made by a chartable organization. The General General Dov
Tazadaka who works under the Major General Gilad made a decision to stop
the chartable organization work of supplying the poor people, and denying
hundreds of families under the poverty line to have their own meal!!
- I was requested the military commander of Hebron Colonel
Dror Wienberg to take in his considerations the humanitarian need of these
people under the poverty line, I send him an appeal , when he didn't respond
to; I contact Mrs. "Ronet Ydeyah", a friend of mine, her housband
"Oded Yadeyah", was joined General Tzadaka the military work
in the south of Lebanon.
- Mrs. Yadeyah, talked to the General Tzadaka, she tried
to convince him to grant a permit for the chartable organization in Hebron
in order to continue supplying the poor people with their only meal. She
explained him the real starvation in the city.
- The General Tzadaka, Confirmed to Mrs. "Yadeah"
that such decision made by the military to stop supplying these poor families
with their food is made for political reasons!!
- In Hebron, I observed a real starvation in the old city
when I was following the IDF soldiers searching the Palestinian houses.
The Israeli soldiers raided an old woman house, aged 92 and searched her
room damaging everything, they finally found a dry pocket of bread she
collects from the military garbage to soak it in water and to eat it over
several days. The woman cried endlessly for the closing the volunteer meal
made by the chartable organization, "I used to have my only meal from
the volunteer chartable organization, and now I collect crumbs of bread
- Such of these human stories the General Gilad and Tazadaka
didn't hear, because it made by there military decisions!!
- In the West Bank of Gaza, there is a real shortage of
food, and starvation made by the military tide closure, allowing donations
to be deliver to the territories and Gaza needs to seek a special form
of request for booth offices of the generals Gilad and Tazadaka, but the
Generals response always delayed for over one month, and in the normal
situation it took the generals two weeks before they response!!
- In such cases of donations of food were damaged behind
the Israeli borders waiting over the Generals response for couple of weeks!!
- The formal way of the generals offices through dealing
with the humanitarian request is based on humiliation.
- The organization and the Palestinian should request the
generals offices following a list of steps, they should send an official
fax with further informations about the donations, organization, car, and
the driver...and they should wait. Usually the generals offices asked the
organization to call them after three days for security reasons.
- When the organization call back these offices and asked
abou the officers in charge like "Aviv", Gilad's assistant, or
"Beny", Tzadaka's, they received the automatic response, the
officer is not here, call in three hours!! After three hours, they receive
another response, the officer is not available to talk right now, he is
in a meeting, calls after five o'clock!! After five o'clock, another answer
deliver, the officer on the telephone call in five minutes!! Then the officer
left, call tomorrow!!
- The same response you might receive for two weeks or
one month!! Everybody knows this formal way of the generals activities
in the territories and Gaza.
- Everybody know that he must request the generals offices
to grant them a permit for allowing a truck of food to enter Gaza or the
the territories, everybody should request these generals to grant the "Cancer"
patient a permit for medical treatment and human considerations, and most
of time these patients died for political reasons.
- In the territories and Gaza, the humanitarian considerations
killed by the military law, there is a real starvation, an increasing
of children death, under the Israeli military curfew...