- Area 51, move over -- Deer Run may be taking over as
destination of choice for visitors from outer space.
- A southeast Calgary family saw a strange sight in the
sky Tuesday evening, hours before a northern lights display danced overhead.
- Tammy Woodward's boyfriend came into their Deer Run home
around 7 p.m., to get her to look at an odd object he'd spotted in the
- "The sun was just going down and the sky was perfectly
clear except for this thing," said Woodward. "We saw what looked
like a small piece of really bright-white cloud but it was moving way too
fast to be a cloud," said Woodward, whose two children also saw it.
- "It was going really fast, west-northwest. It was
diamond-shaped and it was gone from sight over other houses in about 10
seconds," the 34-year-old said.
- Environment Canada meteorologist Bill McMurtry is at
a loss as to what the family saw.
- It could have been an aircraft, satellite or meteorite
-- but he doubts it was, because the latter two aren't visible while it's
light out, and most people know a plane when they see one.
- On Sept. 6, 1991, three people in the city's Monterey
Park reported three amber, diamond-shaped lights moving in the eastern
- An unexplained spectacle was also witnessed in Edmonton,
according to the Alberta UFO Study Group. On Sept. 13, a person in Edmonton
saw 10 yellow-white lights moving "fast like a fighter jet" to
the northeast, then disappearing 30 seconds later.