- A magnitude 7.5 earthquake struck the Ascension Island
region. 1 5.5S 12.0W
- This earthquake struck thirty minutes after the Alaska
- Ascension is an island of volcanic origin, 34 sq. mi.
in area, 700 mi. NW of St. Helena, through which it
is administered. It is a communications relay center
for Britain, and has a U.S. satellite tracking center. Pop. (1993)
was 1,117, half of them communications workers.
- These facts alone would make the area and the island
itself, a likelycandidate for being a highly classified governmental facility
of great importance to both the British and the United
States, and of course, with the Iraq war right around
the corner, the loss or damage of any electronic equipment
on that island would be of great concern to both the British and
the United States.
- Of even more interest, at least to me, is the 7.5 magnitude
earthquake that struck that volcanic island and region,
and does the earthquake signal renewed volcanic activity?