- An AP story has just come out on aid to Israel, and along
with several other problems, it contains a sentence that we should all
call our newspapers to correct. I have just called AP itself, and asked
them to correct the story. In case they don't, please call your local newspapers
and ask them to give more accurate information, as follows:
- In its current report, AP says that Israel has never
defaulted on a loan. The real fact is that ISRAEL HAS NEVER REPAID A LOAN.
THE MONEY NEVER RETURNS TO THE US TREASURY.
- I gave AP the following reference: an excellent article
by longtime journalist and executive editor of the Washington Report on
Middle East Affairs, Richard Curtiss:
- "...friends of Israel never tire of saying that
Israel has never defaulted on repayment of a U.S. government loan. It would
be equally accurate to say Israel has never been required to repay a U.S.
government loan. The truth of the matter is complex, and designed to be
so by those who seek to conceal it from the U.S. taxpayer.
- Most U.S. loans to Israel are forgiven, and many were
made with the explicit understanding that they would be forgiven before
Israel was required to repay them. By disguising as loans what in fact
were grants, cooperating members of Congress exempted Israel from the U.S.
oversight that would have accompanied grants. On other loans, Israel was
expected to pay the interest and eventually to begin repaying the principal.
But the so-called Cranston Amendment, which has been attached by Congress
to every foreign aid appropriation since 1983, provides that economic aid
to Israel will never dip below the amount Israel is required to pay on
its outstanding loans. In short, whether U.S. aid is extended as grants
or loans to Israel, it never returns to the Treasury."
- If the newspapers say that the AP contention that Israel
"never defaulted on a loan" is not incorrect, you might want
to mention John Stuart Mill's observation that the greater evil is not
the violent conflict of parts of the truth, "but the quiet suppression
of half of it."
- The AP article can be viewed at:
- The Israeli Holocaust Against the Palestinians by Michael
Hoffman and Prof.Moshe Lieberman 6 x 9 paperback. 110 pages. A MUST READ!!
- For book send $20.00 donation to: RePortersNoteBook.com
253 west 72nd st #1711 New York, NY 10023 212-787-7891
- Peace is patriotic! Michael Santomauro Editorial Director
253 West 72nd street #1711 New York, NY 10023 http://www.RePortersNoteBook.com
Available for Talk-Radio interviews 24hours 212-787-7891 http://reportersnotebook.com/newforum/indexforum.html