- RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARK, NC --
A study published today in the online edition of the peer-reviewed journal
Environmental Health Perspectives (EHP) found for the first time that electromagnetic
fields (EMFs) emitted by certain mobile phones damaged neurons in the brains
- The researchers studied 12 to 26 week-old rats because
their developmental age is comparable to that of human teenagers, who are
some of the heaviest users of mobile phones. "The situation of the
growing brain might deserve special concern," the study authors wrote,
"since biological and maturational processes are particularly vulnerable.
We cannot exclude that after some decades of often daily use, a whole generation
of users may suffer negative effects as early as middle age."
- Three groups of rats were exposed for 2 hours to GSM
mobile phone EMFs of different strengths. GSM, which stands for Global
System for Mobile Communications, is the main standard for mobile phones
used in Europe, as well as in many countries in the Middle East and Asia.
GSM is one of several standards by which mobile phones in the United States
- The study found that EMF exposure was associated with
leakage of albumin through the blood-brain barrier and neuronal damage
that increased in response to the amount of exposure. The authors acknowledged
that the study sample was small, but stated that "the combined results
are highly significant and exhibit a clear dose-response relation."
- Earlier EMF studies have focused on whether exposure
might cause cancer, with some studies finding increased risk but most showing
no effects or even decreased risk.
- "Scientists have been looking for some time at the
possible effects of exposure to the energy coming out of cell phones,"
says Dr. Jim Burkhart, science editor for Environmental Health Perspectives.
"These scientists decided to look in a new place, studying potential
nerve damage, rather than cancer growth. Their results suggest a strong
need for further study as we all rely on cell phones more and more."
- The study team was headed by Leif G. Salford of the Department
of Neurosurgery at Lund University in Sweden. Other authors include Arne
E. Brun, Jacob L. Eberhardt, Lars Malmgren, and Bertil R.R. Persson. The
study will appear in a future print issue of EHP. EHP is the journal of
the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, part of the U.S.
Department of Health and Human Services. More information is available
online at http://www.ehponline.org/.
- Editor's note: A full copy of the report is available
by fax or e-mail (PDF format) to media at no charge. Go to www.ehponline.org/press,
call 919-653-2585, or e-mail email@example.com .
- Informant: JNewton at EMRNetwork
- How even very weak electric and magnetic fields can affect
- Hello and congratullations for your active stand. I think
the scientific community has not yet realized that there is now a theory
that explains how even very weak electric and magnetic fields (of the order
of 3mV/m or 1G correspondingly) can affect cells and organisms by Non-Thermal
- This theory is published in two papers already: Panagopoulos
D.J., Messini N., Karabarbounis A., Filippetis A.L., and Margaritis L.H.,
(2000), A Mechanism for Action of Oscillating Electric Fields on Cells,
Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, 272(3), 634-640.
- Panagopoulos D.J. Karabarbounis A. and Margaritis L.H.,
(2002), Mechanism for Action of Electromagnetic Fields on Cells, Biochemical
and Biophysical Research Communications, 298(1), 95-102.
- The theory is considered as the only proposed mechanism
that has no deficiencies. [See: Creasey W.A. and Goldberg R.B., (2001),
A new twist on an old mechanism for EMF bioeffects?, EMF Health Report,
9 (2), 1-11].
- Also there is another review paper just published, describing
serious effects of GSM mobile phone's field on insects' reproductive capacity:
- Panagopoulos D.J. and Margaritis L.H., 2003, Effects
of electromagnetic fields on the reproductive capacity of Drosophila melanogaster,
In: Stavroulakis P. (Ed.) "Biological Effects of Electromagnetic Fields",
- Best regards Dr Dimitris J.Panagopoulos Department of
Cell Biology & Biophysics Faculty of Biology University of Athens 15784
- CONCLUSIONS DAY OF TELEFONIA AND CENTRAL SCHOOL VALLADOLID
- 1. The recommendation dated 12 of July from 1999 of the
Counsel of the European Union published in the Daily Official of the European
Communities dated 30-7-99 says in its 4º Considering the following
thing: Is absolutely necessary the protection of the citizens of the Community
against the harmful effects for the health that is known can result of
the exposition to electromagnetic fields.
- 2. The Informative Note nº 5/2001 of the General
Direction of Investigation of the European Parliament of February of 2001
indicates in its section 2 the wounds that can produce the electromagnetic
fields: modification of the metabolism, changes of the hormonal activity,
to modify the synthesis of the genetic material, to alter the conduct of
the cancerous cells, to stimulate the liberation of histamina and to alter
the concentrations of calcium, among others.
- 3. The problems arisen in whole Europe in relation to
the mobile phone system shows that the most maximum levels of chosen emission
are not adequate to protect the health of the citizens.
- 4. We are conscious that the official information does
not include several realities:
- * The electromagnetic contamination is real, as well
as its giddy increase. * The companies of insurances exclude in their policies
the cover of damages to the health of them affected. With a potential volume
of so important market has there to be serious reasons to do not do it.
We should think that the Companies insurance companies negotiate with more
care its capital that our authorities the health of the citizens? * The
medical literature collects and recognizes concentrations of cancer in
three different environmental situations: the ones that have been produced
in zones of radioactivity or next to nuclear installations, the once produced
next to industrial installations with substances as the asbestos or amianto
and the ones that have been produced next to antennae of telecommunications:
327 cases of leukemia in Birmingham or 40 cases of leukemia in adults and
8 in children in the Vatican outskirts of Radio are only two of them. In
Spain not only in Valladolid childlike concentrations of cancer next to
antennae of phone system have been produced. It patrols with at least 13
cases. * The limits of exposition set in the laws are very different according
to countries, communities, cities and towns. Evidently this it is not a
good sign of security, keeping in mind that is the motive by the one that
the limits have set. On the other hand, in the places with more restrictive
legislations the mobile phone system functions without problems.
- * Not to stop it being significant in relation to the
demonstrations that are done about that has not been shown the shamefulness
of the electromagnetic radiation that in the year 99 the 88,15% of the
investigations on the effects of the electromagnetic fields was financed
by the operators.
- 5. The State at this time protects more as for the use
of the radio public space to the operators that to the citizens that in
many cases are seen affected.
- Companies signatories: Association Vallisoletana of affected
by antennae of Telecommunications AVAATE Mothers Associations Confederacy
and Parents of Central Public of Valladolid FAPAVA Students Parents Associations
Confederacy of Valladolid FAPA Mothers Associations Confederation and Parents
of Castille and Leon CONFAPACAL Students Parents Associations Confederation
of Castille and Leon CONFAPACYL Association of affected of the Public School
Garcia Quintana of Valladolid Confederacy of Neighbors and Consumers of
- Message from Alfonso Balmori, translation Spanish-English
- Note: Citizens' Initiative Omega works on non-profit
base. Our messages are the result of many hours of daily research, roundup
and editing. If you would like to support our activity for people around
the world with a donation or an aid fund unique or on regular base, you
can do it here https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=Star.Mail%40t-online.de&return=http%3
- If you have informations which you would like to share
with your friends and colleges around the world and which are from common
interest, please send us this informations, we will send them out.
- The informations contained in our EMF-Omega-News are
derived from sources, which we believe to be accurate but is not guaranteed.
- Citizens' Initiative Omega is not responsible for any
errors or omissions and disclaims any liability incurred as a consequence
of any of the contents of this resources.
- This message is sent in compliance of the new e-mail
bill: SECTION 301. Per Section 301, paragraph (a)(2)(C) of S. 1618. This
message is NOT Spam as long as you are provided with a way to remove your
name from this mailing list. All further transmissions to you from us may
be stopped at no cost to you by replying to this email with "Remove"
in the 'Subject' line.
- If you need to have translated our message in your language
please go to: http://www.freetranslation.com/ This is a free translation
- Words of Wisdom
- "How could I imagine how lost in the open field
I was." --Neal Lindley
- "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed
people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
-- Margaret Mead
- " If one advances confidently in the direction of
their dreams, And endeavors to lead a life which they have imagined, They
will meet with a success unexpected in common hours." -- Henry David
- "Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single
candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never
decreases by being shared." -- Buddha