- After a great misery for mankind an even greater approaches.
The great cycle of the centuries is renewed: It will rain blood, milk,
famine, war and disease. In the sky will be seen a fire, dragging a tail
of sparks. ---Nostradamus, Century 2, Quatrain 46 (1654)
- A huge comet is rounding the sun, a comet twice the size
of jupiter (from tip to end of tail -ed) (about 22 times the size of earth).
Some have seen it at sunrise and sunset; otherwise, it is not visible because
it is occluded by solar glare. Essentially, it is coming from behind the
sun and was first observed by NASA less than two months ago.
- NASA's solar observatory has released a number of pictures
of this comet, but those stopped just as a huge coronal mass ejection (an
event which is to the hydrogen bomb as the hydrogen bomb is to a firecracker)
erupted from the sun toward the comet. Some call these things "sunspots."
- This comet is passing within 9 million miles of the solar
surface. In celestial terms, that is a very near miss.
- You haven't heard about this, have you?
- Remember the hullabaloo over Hale/Bopp and Levy/Shoemaker?
They were pikers by comparison with what has been dubbed Comet "NEAT."
- Why all the silence this time?
- I have read a good deal of speculation on several different
internet sites. Some see it as biblical prophecy fulfilled (see Revelations
- you might agree). Some consider this to be "Nibiru" or "Planet
X," foretold by the Mayans as passing through the solar system every
3600 years or so. Some consider this simply to be an awesome photo opportunity.
- Some say the strange weather on Earth lately is the result
of an effect caused by the sun which in turn is responding to Comet NEAT.
- Electromagnetic fields reach hundreds of millions of
miles into space, you see, and are generated by all celestial objects.
Influences occur at distances far in excess of that between the sun and
comet Neat or, for that matter, between Earth and comet Neat.
- The sun has a regularly-repeating solar "sunspot"
activity cycle of approximately 11 years. 2000 was to have been the most
recent peak. Solar > activity, rather than dropping off in year 12,
as it always has, has continued to rise ever since.
- Earth's magnetic field has been weakening in an accelerating
fashion of > late. The North Pole, which wanders anyway, has traveled
almost as far in the past 20 years as it did in the 100 years prior to
that, when it was located in Canada's northern Yukon Territory.
- Some hypothesize that Earth's poles reverse when its
magnetic field reaches zero. The geological record proves the poles have
shifted many times down through the history of the Earth (metal flakes
in lava align with the magnetic field, to be frozen in place when the lava
cools, you see, just like the needle in a compass). Coincidence? Perhaps.
- Maybe it is nothing. Maybe it is something. If something,
it could be the most significant occurrence in recorded human history.
- Generally, the concern is not that Comet NEAT will strike
Earth or even come near us (though I have yet to see a good description
of its path relative to Earth). Rather, the concern is for the effect
upon us through the electromagnetic interaction between it and Earth and
the Sun. There is a secondary concern that something this huge could have
smaller objects following in its wake, or that pieces of it broke off during
the massive solar flare when it passed near the Sun, pieces that might
find their way to Earth. "Planet buster" asteroids can be as
small as 1/3 mile in diameter.
- Just five days ago, a Rand Corporation (government think
tank) scientist, Dr. Geoffrey Summer, publicly stated that secrecy would
be the best option if it were discovered that an asteroid were about to
hit the earth: "Overreaction not just by the public but by policy-makers
scurrying around before the thing actually hits because we can't do anything
about it anyway ... to a large extent you are better off not adding to
your social costs."
- Go here for one of NASA's official web pages carrying
photographs of this comet: http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/hotshots/2003_02_12/
- Something tells me you should take a look right now,
though. Who knows if this will be available even tomorrow?
- For the moment, my question is, "Why is there no
media coverage of Comet NEAT?"
- Of course, we all know how paranoid I am.
- "I didn't say it would be easy. I just said it
would be the truth." - Morpheus
- Copyright ©2003, Edgar J. Steele
- Forward as you wish. Permission is granted to circulate
among private individuals and groups, post on all Internet sites and publish
in full in all not-for-profit publications. Contact author for all other
rights, which are reserved.
- On-Line link to this article in HTML format: