- VENICE, Fl -- For at least
four years while living in Hamburg during the 1990's terrorist ringleader
Mohamed Atta was part of a 'joint venture' between the U.S. and German
Governments, the MadCowMorningNews has learned, an elite international
"exchange" program run by a little-known private organization
with close ties to powerful American political figures like David Rockefeller
and former Secretary of State Henry Kissinger.
- The jointly-funded government effort picked up the tab
for Atta on sojourns in Cairo, Istanbul, and Aleppo in Syria during the
years 1994 and 1995 and employing him as a "tutor" and "seminar
participant" during 1996 and 1997.
- Moreover Atta's financial relationship with the U.S.-German
government effort, known as the may even extend back to his initial move
from Egypt to Germany in 1992, after being "recruited" in Cairo
by a mysterious German couple dubbed the "hijacker's sponsors"
in a recent news account in the Chicago Tribune.
- In the years before he became a 'terrorist ringleader,'
Atta was enjoying the patronage of a government initiative overseen by
the U.S. State Department and the German Ministry of Economic Cooperation
and Development, the German equivalent of the U.S. Agency currently supervising
the secretive bidding race for tens of billions of dollars of post-war
reconstruction contracts in Iraq, the Agency for International Development.
- All the news that fits...under the rug
- News that Mohamed Atta had been on the payroll of an
elite international program known as the "Congress-Bundestag Program
first surfaced a month after the 9/11 attack in a brief seven-line report
by German newspaper Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung on Oct. 18, 2001 under
the headline "ATTA WAS TUTOR FOR SCHOLARSHIP HOLDERS."
- The story quoted a spokesman for "Carl Duisberg
Gesellschaft," described as a "German international further education
organisation," as having admitted paying Hamburg cadre principal Atta
as a "scholarship holder" and "tutor," as the spokesman
put it, between 1995 and 1997.
- But the shocking revelation that Atta had therefore been
on the payroll of a joint U.S.-German government program was concealed
by the newspaper, through the simple expedient of neglecting to mention
that the "Carl Duisberg Gesellschaft" was merely a private entity
set up to administer an official U.S. and German government initiative.
- The U.S. end of the program is run out of an address
at United Nations Plaza in New York by CDS International. The letters stand
for Carl Duisberg Society, which is also the name of its German counterpart
in Cologne, the Carl Duisberg Gesellschaft. Both are named for Carl Duisberg,
a German chemist and industrialist who headed the Bayer Corporation during
- The list of elite power brokers backing CDS International
ranges from Henry Kissinger to Bill Clinton. Kissinger, to cite just one
example, addressed over 100 international business leaders at a dinner
at the River Club of New York on June 2, 1987 organized and celebrating
- Why Kissinger bowed out
- Kissinger congratulated CDS International on its 20 years
of service in keeping close business ties, not only between Germany and
the United States, but more recently through career development programs
for participants from other countries as well.
- And during his visit to Germany to commemorate the Berlin
Airlift, then-President Bill Clinton mentioned the CDS International Congress-Bundestag
Youth Exchange, noting that the United States "will be working hard
to expand our support" for the Congress-Bundestag exchange which "has
already given more than 10,000 German and American students the chance
to visit each other's countries."
- Were he to give the same speech today he would no doubt
change the wording to "visit and vaporize."
- CDS International, states the organizations literature,
provides opportunities for young German professionals. "These young
German engineers earn real world experience and are given assignments to
contribute from the start," a program spokesman enthused in a newspaper
- The spokesman neglected to mention the fact that the
program's most famous recent graduate's "real world experience"
includes murdering almost 3000 people in less than two hours in New York
- The financial relationship between the U.S. and German
Governments and the terrorist ringleader has never before been reported
in the U.S. a fact which may be due to the program's ties to a raft of
politically-powerful boosters in the U.S., which in addition to Kissinger
and Rockefeller also includes Democratic heavyweights like former First
Lady Hillary Clinton and Clinton White House adviser Ira Magaziner.
- Mysterious German couple called 'hijacker's sponsors'
- Having powerful friends in such high places may also
explain the curious omissions in a second story about Mohamed Atta's time
in Germany which appeared recently in the Chicago Tribune, headlined "9/11
haunts hijacker's sponsors; German couple talks of living with pilot Atta."
- The March 7,2003 story describes the 1992 meeting in
Cairo which led Mohamed Atta to move to Hamburg, between Atta and an German
couple, which the paper does not name, who ran an international student
exchange program, which the paper also leaves anonymous.
- During a visit to the Egyptian capital in fall 1991,
said the Tribune, the German couple had stayed with friends who knew Atta's
father, a Cairo lawyer, and his father's friends had then introduced the
German couple to Atta.
- "Atta, who had recently graduated with a degree
in architectural engineering from the University of Cairo, told the couple
he wanted to study architecture in Germany, but he had no particular idea
where he should go," the paper reported.
- Atta, though the article neglects to mention it, had
found himself with "no particular idea where he should go" because
although he had studied engineering at prestigious Cairo University he
had not fared well enough to gain admission to its graduate school.
- "In this first conversation, we suggested he continue
his studies in Hamburg and offered him a place to live at our house,"
the paper quotes the German wife telling investigators from the BKA, the
German equivalent of the FBI.
- Atta, she states, accepted their offer right away.
- Why did an (unnamed) German couple, running an (unnamed)
international exchange program leap at the chance to engage a young man
who was not even considered promising enough to gain entrance to a local
Cairo graduate school?
- The Tribune doesn't say.
- "Shock & Awe' was used first against America
- After studying German in Cairo, Atta arrived in the country
on July 24, 1992, according to investigators' records, and then lived rent-
free for at least the next six months in the couple's home in a quiet,
- It is more than curious that although Tribune correspondent
Stevenson Swanson cites the German couple for "having played such
an important role in Atta's move to Germany," he never gives their
names, nor that of the organization they worked for.
- But since just two years later Atta was on the payroll
of the "Congress-Bundestag Program," it is reasonable to conclude
that this same government-funded program was responsible for bringing him
to Germany in the first place, under the aegis of an unnamed German couple.
- Its elite sponsors are apparently powerful enough to
keep the organization's name out of the newspapers, or, at any rate, out
of the Chicago Tribune.
- When Atta returned for a three-month visit to Cairo in
1995, the Egyptian government was in the midst of cracking down viciously
on Islamic fundamentalists.
- Yet, oddly, Atta chose this time to grow a beard, traditionally
a sign of a devout Muslim man, but in this case also assumed to have been
a defiant political gesture chosen to register his disgust at the secular
elite that ruled his homeland.
- His two German traveling "companions" later
reported that Atta told them he would not be cowed by the country's "fat
cats," who they said Atta believed were criminalizing religious traditionalists
while bowing shamefully to the West in foreign and economic policies.
- But maybe the beard was the gesture of a man "singing
for his supper" by going undercover for "fat cats" from
another world entirely.
- Naw. Couldn't be. Could it?