- From: <mailto:HKStrunk@aol.comHKStrunk@aol.com
- To: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org@mindspring.com
- Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2003
- Subject: West Nile Fever
- Dr. Orient:
- A couple of things on the WNV page in the July newsletter
of Doctors for Disaster Preparedness...
- 1. WNV comes from just that....the Nile River.
- 2. While the 'first case' was in Queens, it didn't originate
there.I cannot verify what I am going to tell you, as I don't have permission
to enter, but WNV seems to have 'escaped' from the Dept of Agriculture's
lab on Plum Island, NY. It lies out in Long Island Sound and is upwind
of Queens. There is an aviary there, and the birds give the mosquitos a
blood meal. Eventually the birds die. They should be incinerated....but
it doesn't always happen. An epidemiologist friend say that they have more
than once tossed the dead birds out the back door.The labs are Biosafety
Level 3, so that is up to, but not including smallpox, Ebola, Lassa. But
it does include VEE and CCHF.
- Why, one might ask, the coverup? Think of the liability
issues. Dead people, government labs......
- 3. Somewhere around here I have the list of about seventy
shipments of biologicals sent by American Type Culture Collection in Rockville,
MD Recall that is where Larry Wayne Harris obtained anthrax samples for
about $35 shipped freeze-dried and FedEx. If you have never seen their
catalogs, order the ones for Viruses, and Bacterias.
- Taking delivery in Iraq were such agencies as 'The Atomic
Energy Commission', 'The Institute for Higher Education', 'The Ministry
of Health', and labs. But they were useful then as they were fighting our
arch enemy, Iran.
- 4. In the late 'seventies, there was a researcher working
there, Dr. Ubaidi, an Iraqi. His field was mycoplasmas. He was recalled
to Iraq when their war with Iran started and I am told he set up his department
in the Univ. of Baghdad. We have Gulf War vets with mycoplasmas which have
also infected their families. Drs. Garth and Nancy Nicholson at UCIrvine
have collected blood samples from these sick people and confirmed mycoplasmas.
- 5. A few years ago, Dr. Ubaidi was making moves to leave
Iraq and live elsewhere. It seems he came out to his car one day and found
a flat tire. Upon working on the tire, the big red truck from Public Works
came along and hit and killed him. This truck has been implicated in other
- Hal Strunk, DrPH
- Capt. USNavy Ret.
- PS: You may recall I spoke to the annual meeting in SLC
on my field of chemical and biological weapons defense, and led the tour
to Dugway Army Proving Grounds.
- Patricia A. Doyle, PhD
- Please visit my "Emerging Diseases" message
- Zhan le Devlesa tai sastimasa
- Go with God and in Good Health