- Source - Diario La Prensa
- CURICO -- Without any apparent
explantation, the owners of 50 hens were startled to fin their animals
dead inside and outside a henhouse in the Quete Quete sector on the road
to Rauco. Scattered over a broad space, the hens were joined by a turkey
and a rooster that shared a small coop which was also fenced.
- The owners cannot explain how the creature--which was
initially said to be the legendary Chupacabras--could have entered the
pen and then the henhouse, leaving in its wake 50 hens in very poor conditions,
some of them torn to shreds, although without the characteristic marks
found on animals attacked by the "Chupacabras".
- The owner of each bird could not explain how the events
occurred. Only when they arose in the morning did they realize that 50
hens were dead and that a scant few remained alive, without them or their
watchdogs ever becoming aware of a disturbance.
- "I have no idea as to what happened here. When I
woke up in the morning I found them dead, nothing more. About 50 hens died;
there are roosters and turkeys. We heard nothing. There were some 60 hens
here and about 10 were left. This is the first time it's happened. I heard
nothing, the dogs didn't bark, and my wife didn't hear any noises. The
hens were scattered all over and I gathered them here...there were a few
around here and the turkey was over there, " said Sergio Gonzalez
Nunez, owner of the farm birds.
- Translation (C) 2003. Scott Corrales, Institute of Hispanic
- Special thanks to Liliana Nunez O.