- I had been hoping that States like Arizona and Nevada
with hot, dry climates, would have been spared from West Nile Like Virus.
It appears that NY99 West Nile LIKE virus is determined to spread.
-  Date: 12 Aug 2003 From: Marianne Hopp Source: Arizona
Department of Health Services, Press Release, Mon 11 Aug 2003 [edited]
- Mosquito sample tests positive for West Nile virus in
SE Arizona ----------------------------------------------------------------
- A mosquito sample collected by Cochise County health
officials in the San Simon area has tested positive for the West Nile virus,
marking the emergence of the virus in the state. San Simon is located in
south eastern Arizona near the New Mexico border.
- Although testing of specimens from birds, horses, sentinel
chicken flocks, and mosquito pools began in Arizona in May 2003, the mosquito
sample in Cochise County is the only one that has tested positive for West
Nile virus, so far. This year, the Arizona State Health Laboratory has
tested over 800 mosquito [pools?] and more than 900 chicken blood samples.
In addition, the University of Arizona Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory
has tested over 300 dead birds and more than 20 horses.
- West Nile virus is not the only encephalitis-causing
virus circulating in Arizona this summer. St Louis encephalitis (SLE)-positive
mosquito samples and/or chicken blood samples were collected in Maricopa
and Yuma counties, and western equine encephalitis (WEE) positive samples
were collected in Apache, Maricopa, and Pinal counties.
- To bolster the state's West Nile virus surveillance efforts,
the Arizona Department of Health Services today issued an emergency order
making West Nile virus a reportable disease. Under the order, a physician
or an administrator of a health care facility is required to submit a communicable
disease report of a case or a suspect case of West Nile within 24 hours
of diagnosis to the local health agency. In addition, clinical laboratories
are required to report to the Department.
- ******  Date: Tue 12 Aug 2003 From: ProMED-mail <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Arizona: First Report of West Nile Virus in the State
- By Carla McClain Arizona Daily Star, Tue 12 Aug 2003
- -- ProMED-mail <email@example.com>
- Patricia A. Doyle, PhD Please visit my "Emerging
Diseases" message board at: http://www.clickitnews.com/ubbthreads/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=emergingdiseases
Zhan le Devlesa tai sastimasa Go with God and in Good Health