- President Bush faced an extraordinary claim last night
that he once paid for a girl-friend to have an abortion.
- The pro-life president arranged for the procedure in
the early 1970s, according to porn publisher Larry Flynt.
- The controversial publisher of Hustler magazine told
the New York Daily News he will make the claims in a book coming out this
- 'This story has got to come out,' said 61-year-old Flynt.
'There's a lot of hypocrisy in the White House about this whole abortion
issue. I've talked to the woman's friends.
- 'I've tracked down the doctor who did the abortion, I
tracked down the Bush people who arranged for the abortion I got the story
- But Flynt would not disclose if he plans to name the
- The allegation comes after pop star Moby raised Republican
hackles last week when he told a New York gossip columnist that he thought
Bush's enemies should cause some political mischief. He said: 'For example,
you can go on all the pro-life chatrooms and say you're an outraged right-wing
voter and that you know that George Bush drove an ex-girlfriend to an abortion
clinic and paid for her to get an abortion.'
- There was no hint that 38-year-old Moby believed his
- The White House had no immediate comment on the claim.
- Republican National Committee spokesman Yier Shi said:
'The Democrats will do anything in this election, judging by their campaign
tactics, to smear without any evidence or background. This is just another
one of those cases.'
- The abortion claim is the first hint of serious scandal
that has emerged to harm the president's re-election chances.
- Having won his party's support and the endorsement of
family and conservative groups with his strong pro-life stance, it is certain
to come under close scrutiny as the election in November draws closer.