- (AP) -- Text of e-mails from Beth A. Payne, a U.S. consular
officer in Baghdad, to members of the family of Nicholas Berg. Copies of
the e-mails were provided to The Associated Press by the Berg family.
- March 31, 2004, 3:16 p.m.
- I've been trying to return your wife's call, but the
line is busy. I attempted to locate your son without success. If I can
locate him, I will ask him to call so you know his situation.
- April 1, 1:26 a.m. (To Michael Berg, Berg's father)
- I have confirmed that your son, Nick, is being detained
by the U.S. military in Mosul. He is safe. He was picked up approximately
one week ago. We will try to obtain additional information regarding his
detention and a contact person you can communicate with directly.
- April 1, 5:23 a.m. (To Suzanne Berg, Berg's mother)
- I have been able to confirm that your son is being detained
by the U.S. military. I am attempting to identify a person with the U.S.
military or FBI here in Iraq who you can contact directly with your questions.
- April 2, 1:25 p.m.
- I have been trying to identify a local contact here,
but given the security situation in Iraq it is not easy. I will continue
- Guardian Unlimited © Guardian Newspapers Limited