- I first saw the coke commercial last week where they
are giving away a truck to the person who buys the coke can that has the
RFID tag in it. The first commercial I saw stated "You buy it and
we'll find you ANYWHERE!" they didn't mention that the person needs
to activate the can first before they can track the can. Last night i saw
the new revised version (I'm assuming) where they now say "You buy
it and activate it and we will find it." I was just thinking maybe
so many people had heard or RFID tags by now that even with a nice prize
like a truck no one is willing to participate?
- Here is a link pertaining to the commercial.
- NOTE: For reasons unknown,
http://www.packexpo.com/ removed the feature they had about the new Coke
- A Google search produced this result
- Search Engine Google: Results 1-10 for "RFID coke
- 1. Packexpo.com : Packaging News - Ben Miyares' Packaging
- ... phone that works in conjunction with the GPS transponder
... re doing, Coca-Cola will find you," says Coke in its ... what
some consumers fear most about RFID tags on ...
- But the material is missing from this url and nothing
like it could be found in their archives, though it was posted there only
hours before this search.
- However we did find this information on it elsewhere...
- This Isn't an Ordinary Can
- COCA-COLA UNEXPECTED SUMMER CAN
- The Coca-Cola Unexpected Summer can is equipped with
a SIM card, keypad and GPS chip transponder so it functions as a cell phone
and GPS locator-consumers find the cans and receive a surprise delivered
to wherever they are. (PRNewsFoto)[AG]
- ATLANTA, GA USA 05/10/2004
- For the First Time Ever in the U.S., Coca-Cola Integrates
GPS Technology Into Cans This Summer With Prizes Including Cars, Cash and
- ATLANTA, May 10 /PRNewswire/ -- Go ahead, give it a shot
... "You Can Win, But You Can't Hide". This summer, some unsuspecting
consumers will go to their fridges to enjoy an ice-cold, refreshing can
of Coca-Cola, only to find that it's not a can of Coca-Cola at all. What
looks like a hi-tech, space age device is in fact the latest innovation
from Coca-Cola -- a specially designed can that has been transformed into
a Global Positioning System (GPS) transponder and cell phone. Winners who
find one of these cans press a button to activate it, volunteer to participate
and then have the grand prize delivered to them wherever they are. As part
of Coca-Cola Unexpected Summer, consumers could win an all-new 2005 Chevy
Equinox, home entertainment system, cash, or any number of additional grand
prizes. Wherever you are, whatever you're doing, Coca-Cola will find you.
- This marks the first time in the U.S. that cans of Coca-Cola
have been infused with this cutting-edge technology. Each of the special
cans will be of comparable size to a regular Coke can, but one glance will
tell consumers that these are not the regular cans of Coca-Cola. The cans
feature specially designed graphics and a recessed panel with buttons that,
when pressed, activate the GPS technology and cellular phone. The inside
of each winning can is configured with a Subscriber Identity Module (SIM)
card that enables the can to serve as a cell phone that works in conjunction
with the GPS transponder. Once a winning can has been found and activated,
its location can be tracked by visiting http://www.unexpectedsummer.com
. It's a consumer promotion for the 21st century. "This is all about
thinking innovatively and figuring out new ways to reward and connect directly
with consumers," said Steven Schiller, Group Director, Coca-Cola Brand
Business Unit, Coca-Cola North America. "Everybody loves summer --
with the promise of new and unexpected moments that we remember forever.
So we're kicking it up a notch by applying cutting-edge GPS technology
to make those everyday summer moments extraordinary." Between May
17th and July 12th, more than 100 GPS cans of Coca-Cola will be available
across the U.S. in specially marked 12, 18, 20, or 24-packs of Coca-Cola
(classic, caffeine free Coke, cherry Coke and Vanilla Coke). That's more
than one per day for the whole summer ... if they last on the shelves that
- You've Got the Can, Now What?
- -- The potential winner jumps with excitement upon
the discovery of a GPS
- can inside specially marked multi-packs of Coca-Cola.
- -- The winner presses the red activation button
on the outside of the
- can, which automatically places a phone call
to the anxiously awaiting
- Coke Unexpected Summer Search Team Headquarters,
- -- The winner agrees, "Of course I'll participate!"
The GPS can sends
- coordinates to the Coke Search Team and the search
- -- Wherever the person goes with the can -- life
guarding at the pool,
- family vacations, mowing the lawn, watching movies,
- ... you get the idea -- the Coke Search Team
will go and show up with
- the prize.
- Where Can I Get My Hands on One? Could I Win Anything
Else? The limited quantity GPS-transponder cans may be found wherever multi-packs
of Coca-Cola are sold including mass-merchant retailers, grocery, convenience,
petroleum and drug stores. A portion of the 100 cans will be sponsored
by select customers of Coca-Cola; customers will co-promote their own programs
using the GPS cans and will offer prizes including plasma TVs, home theater
systems, as well as other new cars and cash.
- Can You Believe They Didn't Use Special Effects?! Television
advertising to support Coca-Cola Unexpected Summer will debut the week
of May 17th. Developed by Berlin Cameron & Partners and directed by
the dynamic duo known as Joe Public, the television spot features a Super-Huey
helicopter actually dropping off an all-new 2005 Chevy Equinox as part
of the grand prize delivery. "Everything about this promotion is unexpected,
from the commercial that kicks off the program to the delivery of the grand
prize," explained Doug Rollins, Brand Manager, Coca-Cola Trademark.
"Using a chopper to lift and deliver a 3,600 pound SUV in the commercial
was done without any special effects and is part of showing consumers how
Coca-Cola can turn an ordinary summer day into an unforgettable experience."
- The Coca-Cola Company is the world's largest beverage
company. Along with Coca-Cola, recognized as the world's best-known brand,
the Company markets four of the world's top five soft drink brands, including
diet Coke, Fanta and Sprite, and a wide range of other beverages, including
diet and light soft drinks, waters, juices and juice drinks, teas, coffees
and sports drinks. Through the world's largest distribution system, consumers
in more than 200 countries enjoy the Company's beverages at a rate exceeding
1 billion servings each day. For more information about The Coca-Cola
Company, please visit our website at http://www.coca-cola.com . For more
information, visit http://www.unexpectedsummer.com /