- After reading the article posted today on your website
"Sustainable Oil", I smell a conspiracy here! An oil industry
conspiracy to drive oil prices through the roof by floating the lie that
oil is created from organic processes and is in limited supply. (Fossils)
- I did a search on google on the subject using the term
"Origins of Petroleum" and found a wealth of info backing up
the authors claims........... see below.
- The Origins of Oil and Petroleum
- Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 17:54:57 PDT
- From: "Daniel E. Reynolds"
- Subject: Oil - A REWEWABLE and ABIOTIC FUEL?
- On June 20th, 1996 Col. Prouty stated...
- "Oil is often called a 'fossil' fuel; the idea being
that it comes from formerly living organisms. This may have been plausible
back when oil wells were drilled into the fossil layers of the earth's
crust; but today, great quantities of oil are found in deeper wells that
are found below the level of any fossils. How could then oil have come
from fossils, or decomposed former living matter, if it exists in rock
formations far below layers of fossils - the evidence of formerly living
organisms? It must not come from living matter at all!"
- Two days after I read his statement I encountered the
following statement in a newspaper I deeply respect:
- "Any geologist will tell you, well, most geologists
will tell you that OIL IS CREATED BY THE MAGMA OF THE EARTH. The oil wells
in Pennsylvania that were pumped out dry at the turn of the century and
capped are now filled with oil again."
- (Say what?)
- I would be honored if Col Prouty could provide me with
just a few additional leads to MORE DOCUMENTATION BACKING UP HIS ASSERTION.
A search of the US libraries (via computer) has turned up the name of Professor
Thomas Gold who wrote a book entitled:
- "Power from the Earth".
- I tried to contact Marc J. Defant, a Volcanologist who
teaches at the University of Southern Florida, but he is in Russia -- probably
drilling for OIL PRODUCED BY MAGMA!!!
- Professor Gold's book has been requested via interlibrary
- I certainly believe Col Prouty is telling the truth --
as he knows it -- personally! Well, I seek the TRUTH -- and when I find
it -- I teach it to all who desire to hear it -- as best I can.
- Thank you for taking time to read my request. If, Col
Prouty can find the time to read it too -- and he chooses to share additional
information with me -- I shall be most grateful.
- Daniel E. Reynolds July 29, 1996
- -- -- -- -- -- - -- --
- Here is Col. Prouty's response.
- -- -- -- --
- Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 21:16:04 -0400 From: Col. L. Fletcher
Prouty To: firstname.lastname@example.org Subject: RE: Reynolds letter
- This response is for Daniel E. Reynolds, 29 July 1996
on the subject of "Oil - A renewable and abiotic Fuel?"
- Dan, your use of the word "abiotic" is good.
As a non-fossil fuel, petroleum has no living antecedent. It contains chemical
elements found in living matter; but it is not "formerly living matter."
There has not been enough true "formerly living matter"through
all of creation to account for the volume of petroleumthat has been consumed
- My background in this subject goes back to 1943. I was
the pilot who flew a U.S. Geological Survey Team from Casablanca to Dhahran,
Saudi Arabia. We met the Cal. Standard Oil team holding down that lease.
Then we went back to Cairo to meet President Roosevelt during the Nov.
1943 "Cairo Conference" with Churchill and Chiang Kai Shek. FDR
ordered the immediate construction of an oil refinery there for WW II use.
This led to ARAMCO.
- During the "Energy Crisis" of the 1970's I
was detailed to represent the U.S. Railroad industry as a member of the
"Federal Staff Energy Seminar" program started by the Center
for Strategic and International Studies, sponsored by Georgetown University.
That began in Jan 1974 and continued for four years. It was designed to
discuss "the working of the United States national energy system,
and new horizons of energy research." Among the regular attendees
were such men as Henry Kissinger and James Schlesinger...most valuable
- During one meeting we took a "Buffet Break"
and I was seated with Arthur Kantrowitz of the AVCO Company..."Kantrowitz
Labs" nearBoston. At the table with us were four young geologists
busily talking about Petroleum. At one point one of them made reference
to "Petroleum as organic matter, and a fossil fuel." Right out
of the Rockefeller bible.
- Kantrowitz turned to the geologist beside him and asked,
"Do you really believe that petroleum is a fossil fuel?" The
man said,"Certainly" and all four of them joined in. Kantrowitz
listened quietly and then said, "The deepest fossil ever found has
been at about 16,000 feet below sea level; yet we are getting oil from
wells drilled to 30,000 and more. How could fossil fuel get down there?
If it was once living matter, it had to be on the surface. If it did turn
into petroleum, at or near the surface,how could it ever get to such depths?
What is heavier Oil or Water?" Water: so it would go down, not oil.
Oil would be on top, if it were "organic" and "lighter."
- "Oil is neither."
- They all agreed water was heavier, and therefore if there
was some crack or other open area for this "Organic matter" to
go deep into the magma of Earth, water would have to go first and oil would
be left nearer the surface. This is reasonable. Even if we do agree that
"magma" is a "crude mixture of minerals or organic matters,
in a thin pasty state" this does not make it petroleum, and if it
were petroleum it would have stayed near the surface as heavier items,
i.e. water seeped below.
- My D. Van Nostrand "Scientific Encyclopedia"
says "Magma is the term for molten material. A natural, complex, liquid,
high temperature, silicate solution ancestral to all igneous rocks,both
intrusive and effusive. The origin of Magma is not known." My "Oxford
English Dictionary" does not even have the word "Magma."
- Some years ago I wrote two or three pages that appeared
in theMcGraw Hill Yearbook of Science and Technology, i.e. "Railroad
Engineering." Even that source is a bit uncertain about the"origin
of petroleum" to wit:
- "Less than 1% of the organic matter that originates
in or is transported to the marine environment is eventually incorporated
into ocean sediment," and
- "Most petroleum is formed during catagenesis (undefined
anywhere). If sufficient organic matter is present oceanic sediments that
undergo this process are potential petroleum sources. Deeply buried marine
organic matter yields mainly oil, whereas land plant material yields mainly
gas." (Their idea of "deeply buried" is the "out.")
- All this leaves us no where. I still go with Kantrowitz.
Since oil is lighter than water, everywhere on Earth, there is no way that
petroleum could be an organic, fossil fuel that is created on or near the
surface, and penetrate Earth ahead of water. Oil must originate far below
and gradually work its way up into well-depth areas accessable to surface
drilling. It comes from far below. Therefore, petroleum is not a "Fossil"
fuel with a surface or near surface origin.
- It was made to be thought a "Fossil" fuel by
the Nineteenth oil producers to create the concept that it was of limited
supply and therefore extremely valuable. This fits with the "Depletion"allowance
- During one of our C.S.I.S. "International Nights"
(1978) the Common Market Energy boss, M. Montibrial of France, told us
that while petroleum was being marketed then for $20.00 per barrel or more,
it cost no more than 25 cents per barrel at the well-head. There is our
petroleum problem! We were paying more than $1.50-$1.60 per gallon, one
42nd of a barrel, at that time. Interested folks need to learn more about
the Chartered Institute of Transport, and not waste their time with OPEC,
the "Cover" story.
- Those who pumped the Pennsylvania wells "dry"
during the late eighteen hundreds saved what they had for those better
- L. Fletcher Prouty
- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- FOLLOW-UP-LETTER-- -- --
- Subject: FACTS, FACTS, and MORE FACTS! To: Col Prouty
- Dear Len (and Col Prouty)
- Stimulated by Col Prouty's assertion that OIL IS A NON-FOSSIL
FUEL -- I put my roadster in high gear -- and went prospecting for some
SOLID support! Well, I'm hear to tell you both, I DO BELIEVE I've FOUND
IT - in spades!
- Item #1: A MAGNIFICENT BOOK!!!!
- TITLE: Power from the Earth Deep Earth Gas -- Energy
for the Future by Thomas Gold [J.M. Dent & Sons, Ltd, London, 1987]
- May I quote a few lines from from the front cover of
the book ... a few words ... on
- JUST WHO THIS GUY THOMAS GOLD AND WHAT HE HAS TO SAY
ON THIS SUBJECT!
- "Professor Thomas Gold is one of the great scientific
thinkers of our time and in Power from the Earth he puts forward a highly
revolutionary and controversial theory.
- According to Gold, there are within the Earth virtually
limitless stores of energy in the form of gas and oil as yet untapped.
This energy is of non-biological origin and there is far more of it in
the Earth than geologists have ever imagined -- and IT IS ACCESSIBLE!
- --- Score 1 for Col Prouty!
- At a time when the future supply of traditional fossil
fuels is said to be seriously limited and nuclear energy is becoming ever
more suspect, Gold's theory has vast implications for the future of the
Earth's energy supplies and is crucial to our understanding of the deep
processes that cause earthquakes and volcanoes. His view also clearly has
far reaching consequences for the economic and political shape of the world.
- --- Score 2 for Col Prouty!
- In the past Professor Gold has explained the nature of
pulsars and solar flares, proved that the Earth's poles change position
over time, made new discoveries about the workings of the human inner ear,
and was the only scientist to predict that Moon's surface consists of dust.
His new theory has already been grabbing the attention of the international
press and a drilling operation has been started in Sweden on the basis
of his idea.
- In Power from the Earth Professor Gold puts forward one
of the most important scientific ideas of our age."
- --- Well, having read the book, I can say I certainly
concur with THAT OPINION. And guess what -- Dr. Gold is a friend of Arthur
K. of AVCO LABS, etc....! BULLSEYE!
- --- Score 3 for Col Prouty!
- WHO IS THIS MAN....well listen up...
- "Professor Thomas Gold, FRS, was born in Austria
and educated in Switzerland and England, where he became famous as an astronomer
at Cambridge in the post-war years. In 1956 he moved to the United States
to become a professor at Harvard. He later became Professor of Astronomy
at Cornell University, where he founded and directed the world-famous Center
for Radiophysics and Space Research. He is a Fellow of the Royal Society
and of the United States National Academy of Sciences, and in 1985 was
awarded the Gold Medal by the Royal Astronomical Scoiety. He now lives
in Cambridge, England and is an Honorary Fellow of Trinity College."
- Not bad. Not bad at all.
- In fact, I'm honored to have made his acquaintance.
- ---- Score 4 for Col Prouty
- & a Hearty THANK YOU TO DR. GOLD.
- They say -- he coined the term magnetosphere in '59!
I wonder what HE THINKS is causing those black outs out West??? Falling
tree limbs? Now THAT's an interesting hypothesis! Maybe a bird took out
the TWA? Hey, it's just a theory, just a theory...
- Ok ... now ... I hear some one murmuring
- ... "Well, if his Ideas are so good, so right, so
profound -- SURELY THEY'VE MADE THE SCIENTIFIC LITERATURE ...REFEREED JOURNAL
ARTICLES ... you know ... and all that. I mean ... if it's REEEEEEAL SCIENCE
surely it's been recognized around the world!"
- As a matter of fact, it has!
- My I introduce you both (if you have not been so introduced
prior to this letter) to the work and writings of P.N. Kropotkin...
- Ref: Kropotkin, P. N. (1985) Degassing of the Earth and
the Origin of Hydrocarbons, published in the International Geology Review,
- P.N. Kroptkin -- who is with the Geological Institute
of the USSR Academy of Sciences, Moscow, it says in the header "has
long been a leading proponent of the INORGANIC ORIGIN OF PETROLEUM, a THEORY
which has had a continuous tradition of support in Russia and the Soviet
Union and a recent revival in the United States and Western Europe."
- Oh, well, better late than never!
- THIS PAPER IS LOADED WITH FACTS! Anyone who thinks that
Col Prouty or Dr. Gold are spinning some kind of yarn ... HAD BEST READ
IT -- ASAP. WE ARE BEING OFFERED AN IMMORTAL SYMPHONY BY THESE MEN -- and
I for one LOVE the Sound of THIS MUSIC!
- May I share just one quote from the work of P.N. Kroptkin...
from page 1265 ... just one of many many AWESOME FACTS IN THIS SCIENTIFIC
- "Commerical oil pools in the basement rocks have
been recorded in 267 oil and gas deposits on different continents. In some,
oil is present at a depth of several hundred meters from its surface; in
the USSR, such pools are known in a number of areas. A detailed analysis
of the geological environment suggests that in some of these deposits,
OIL COULD NOT HAVE ENTERED THE POOLS FROM THE OIL-BEARING STRATA OF THE
SEDIMENTARY COVER AND, CONSEQUENTLY, PENETRATED FROM BELOW ALONG FAULTS.
- ---Score a HOME RUN for Col Prouty and Dr. Gold!!!!
- Such is the Borolla deposit with pools in the Precambrian
granites of the Shillong plateau (eastern India), the Peace River deposit
in Western Canada associated with faults in the basin of the Athabasca
River which border the zone of the pericratonic tough of the Canadian Shied,
and the giganitc deposits of the Hugoton-Panhandle region of the USA and
the Augila-Nafoora-Amal deposit in Libya. In the Hugoton-Panhandle deposit,
the upper Paleozoic sediments and the basement rocks contain, in addition
to oil, 2000 billion m^3 of fuel gases and 10 billion m^3 of helium and
its concentration in such vast amounts over a small area may be explained,
as earlier noted by V. I. Vernadskiy, solely by the migration of gas from
a great depth, where faults drain huge volumes of rocks of the lithosphere."
- May I make a simple REQUEST TO COL PROUTY...
- Sir. Please continue to provide YOUR PROVOCATIVE MATERIAL...and
OFFER US THE FACTS, as YOU KNOW THEM. Those of us out in this media-blitzed
wilderness LOVE TO DO RESEARCH. WE WILL EFFORT to track down the details
and WE WILL DO OUR PART but KNOW WE NEED GUIDANCE and we beg you to continue
to shine YOUR VERY BRIGHT AND WISDOM FILLED LIGHT on the ROAD A AHEAD FOR
US, OFFERING JUST A LITTLE DIRECTION, NOW AND THEN! We are OVER-UNITY 'MACHINES'
... and WE SHALL NOT FAIL YOU!
- THANK YOU.
- My very BEST to you both of you & Len!
- Daniel Reynolds Joyously Walking the grounds on which
the Wright Brothers grew to fame, and VERY HAPPLY to be able to say so
-- this day!
- Petroleum Disscussion Update for March 1997
- FOSSIL-FUEL THEORY DEBUNKED: OIL, GAS DEPOSITS CALLED
PRIMORDIAL by Toldedo Blade
- SEATTLE - The public's most widely known piece of geological
knowledge--how petroleum and natual-gas deposts formed on Earth---is false,
a noted scientist says. Surprisingly, his campaign to rewrite school textbooks
and encyclopedias is getting grudging support from some geologists, who
acknowledge that petroleum's origins may be dramatically different than
what people believe.
- Millions of Americans learned in grade school that oil
deposits originated in the age of dinosaurs, when vegetation in lush forests
was buried and subjected to high heat and pressure. Those extreme conditions
supposedly transformed the hydrocarbons in vegetation into the hydrocarbons
- "That's nonsense," snapped Thomas Gold, a scientist
at Cornell University. "There's not a shred of evidence from chemistry,
geology, or any other science to support it. It has no place in textbooks
and school classrooms."
- In appearances at the annual meeting of The American
Association for the Advancement of Science in Seattle here that ended Thursday,
Gold repeatedly challenged geologists to reconsider and reject the conventional
- Gold also presented evidence that oil and gas deposits
on Earth are primordial. That means they came with the planet. They were
part of the original raw material that formed the sun and planets, and
deposited deep below Earth's surface when the planet formed 4.5 billion
- Some of the oil gradually oozes upward from these original
deposits 100 to 200 miles below the surface and collects where oil drillers
can reach it.
- In one presentation, Gold described shafts that he and
associates drilled in an ancient meteorite impact crater in Sweden. They
drilled into a kind of rock that was not sedimentary, not associated with
the sediments believed to produce oil deposits.
- At a depth of about 4 miles, they encluntered a hydrocarbon
oil similar to light petroleum that Gold believes was primordial oil. He
noted a variety of evidence to support the belief. Gold estimated that
this single site contained "more petroleum than all of Saudi Arabia."
With current technology, however, pumping it out would be impossible, he
added. Gold contended that many other planets and planetary bodies in the
solar system have similar deep deposits of hydrocarbons, which are the
stuff of oil and natural gas. Gold argues that a primordial origin for
petroleum is the only way to explain its chemical composition.
- Petroleum originating from plant matter decayed by bacteria,
similar to bacteria that decay backyard garden-compost piles, would resemble
a microbial product. Instead, petroleum is chemically similar to a pure
hydrocarbon that has been contaminated with microbial material. That contamination,
he argues, occurred as petroleum seeped upward through rock now known to
contain enormous amounts of bacterial life. In moving upward, petroleum
also collected helium, explaining why oil wells are such a rich source
- "This is the only possible explanation," Gold
said. "The association of helium with petroleum has not been accounted
for in any other way."
- How do geologists respond?
- They're beginning to listen, according to Michael Carr,
who appeared on a panel where Gold presented his theory. Carr is a scientist
with the U.S. Geological Survey in Reston, Va. "Dr. Gold has some
very, very good evidence, especially that involving helium," Carr
said. "He certainly is challenging the geological community. There
is a debate within the gological community." Carr said geologists
plan to reconsider the conventional theory about petroleum formation at
a major meting later in the year.
- Once again, Prouty's assertions are backed by solid,
credible people, and the next time Warren Commission apologists pooh-pooh
Prouty, citing Prouty's "obviously ridiculous" views on petrol,
just refer them to the above article.