- Three years after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, America's
politicians and media continue to gravely deceive the public about the
so-called war on terrorism.
- Now the definitive book on terrorism has appeared that
should be mandatory reading for every thinking person. It's called Imperial
Hubris: Why The West is Losing the War on Terror.
- The cover simply identifies the author as
but he's already been widely identified in the American media as Michael
Scheuer, a senior terrorism analyst for the CIA.
- It is unprecedented that a serving CIA officer was
to publish a book, one that is clearly a dramatic rebuke to the
who drove the U.S. into two wars.
- Scheuer's work is a goldmine of information and brilliant
analysis. It breaks taboos and sweeps away the clouds of lies about
Iraq and Afghanistan. He says U.S. leaders refuse to accept the obvious
-- "we are fighting a worldwide Islamic insurgency -- not criminality
- The U.S. has made only "a modest dent in enemy
- None of bin Laden's reasons for waging war on the U.S.,
writes Scheuer, "have anything to do with our freedom, liberty, and
democracy (as President George Bush claims), but everything to do with
U.S. policies and actions in the Muslim world," notably unlimited
support for Israel's repression of the Palestinians and the destruction
- "For cheap, easily accessible oil, Washington and
the West have supported Muslim tyrannies (Osama) bin Laden and other
seek to destroy," Scheuer writes. "The war has the potential
to last beyond our children's lifetimes and be fought mostly on U.S.
- A coup for bin Laden
- Bin Laden, argues Scheuer, is widely viewed by much of
the Muslim world, infuriated by American actions in the Mideast, as neither
a terrorist or madman but as a skilled warrior, the sole Muslim leader
standing up to predatory western powers.
- Ironically U.S. and British military intervention in
Afghanistan and Iraq "are completing the radicalization of the Islamic
world," a prime bin Laden goal.
- Bush's misbegotten invasion of Iraq was "icing on
bin Laden's cake."
- The threat today facing America "is the defensive
jihad (holy struggle), an Islamic military reaction triggered by an attack
by non-Muslims on the Islamic faith, on Muslims, on Muslim territory."
Muslims are increasingly fighting back.
- The Muslim world believes it is under total attack led
by Bush -- a massive effort to crush all who oppose U.S. domination,
Islam's inherent political role, eliminate Muslim charities, impose western
values on the Islamic world and maintain puppet rulers -- "spreading
democracy" in Bush's lexicon. Terrorism is merely the tactics of the
poor fighting the rich.
- The ultimate taboo
- "U.S. military operations in the Muslim world,"
he adds, "validate bin Laden's contention the U.S. is attacking Islam
and supports any country willing to kill or persecute Muslims."
- Scheuer, breaking the ultimate taboo, observes of
"one-way alliance" with Israel that "Israelis have succeeded
in lacing tight the ropes binding the American Gulliver to the ... Jewish
state and its policies."
- The wars in Afghanistan and Iraq are lost causes, Scheuer
concludes. The U.S. is totally unable to create legitimate governments
in either chaotic nation, only puppet regimes, supported by American
- If the U.S. stays, it will bleed endlessly; if it
it faces political disaster.
- Washington, he charges, has no strategy and is merely
- In one of his most acute insights, Scheuer explains the
U.S. cannot, for all of its riches, buy its way to victory in Afghanistan
- "Honour is still the currency of value in the Middle
East, more so than goods and services."
- Blood-links trump all other affiliations or
- Honour is why the Taliban refused to hand over bin Laden
to the U.S., a man they regarded as their guest and a war hero, and why
he has still not been betrayed in spite of a $25-million US reward in a
nation where the annual income is $147.
- At least there is one person in Washington who
the violence surrounding us -- and has the courage and patriotism to tell
Americans the truth: Their own arrogance and ignorance are driving them
into a no-win war against 1.3 billion Muslims.
- Eric can be reached by e-mail at:
- Letters to the editor should be sent to:
- Copyright © 2004, CANOE, a division of Netgraphe
Inc.All rights reserved.