- TEHRAN (IRNA) - Commander
of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) Major General Rahim Safavi
said on Wednesday that the US and Israel are not in a position to launch
a military attack on Iran.
- He told a press conference on the sidelines of a large
military exercise of one hundred thousand Basij (volunteer forces) that
it would be foolish if the US opted for military confrontation with Iran.
- "The US has been trapped in Iraq and Washington's
Middle East warship ran aground in Iraq and Falluja," he said. Safavi
said that the US has embarked on a psychological warfare against Iran and
the US threats are not serious for the Basij.
- Major General Safavi said that the US CASUALTIES in Iraq
exceeded 10,600 DEAD, and according to some figures it stood at 14,000
dead which accounted for 10 percent of the American soldiers.
- "Will the American people accept such a high percentage
of casualties?," he asked.
- On the detrimental impacts of US presence to the Iraqi
people, Safavi said that the US army brought neither peace nor democracy
for the Iraqi people. Neither did it bring progress and welfare to Iraq,
- "They killed or wounded 100,000 Iraqi people,"
Safavi pointed out. Elaborating on Iranian defense strategy, he said that
Iranian defense strategy focuses on deterrence to foreign aggression. Of
- course, the armed forces are responsible for multilateral
defense of the country.
- "If the enemy opts for causing trouble to Iran,
it will be dealt with in kind," Safavi said. He said that the Basij
has formed 2,500 battalions which are well-prepared to defend the country
under command of the Supreme National Security Council (SNSC) and in cooperation
with the Army of
- the Islamic Republic of Iran.