- DAVOS, Switzerland, (AFP)
- US software giant Bill Gates has high praise for China, which he says
has created a brand-new form of capitalism that benefits consumers more
than anything has in the past.
- "It is a brand-new form of capitalism, and as a
consumer its the best thing that ever happened," Gates told an informal
meeting late Friday at the World Economic Forum in this ski resort.
- He characterized the Chinese model in terms of "willingness
to work hard and not having quite the same medical overhead or legal overhead".
- Manufacturers have created "scale economies that
are just phenomenal", in part owing to companies there and elsewhere
on the planet designing good products, Gates said.
- Looking ahead, he added: "You know they haven't
run out of labor yet, the portion that can come out of the agriculture
sector" was still considerable.
- "It's not like Korea, Korea got to a point where,
boom, the wages went up a lot," he said, adding "that's good,
you know, they got rich and now they have to add value at a different level.
- "They're closer to the United States in that sense
than they are to where China is right now."
- Gates continued by heaping praise on the current generation
of Chinese leaders.
- "They're smart," he said with emphasis.
- "They have this mericratic way of picking people
for these government posts where you rotate into the university and really
think about state allocation of resources and the welfare of the country
and then you rotate back into some bureaucratic position."
- That rotation continued, Gates explained, and leaders
were constantly subjected to various kinds of ratings.
- "This generation of leaders is so smart, so capable,
from the top down, particularly from the top down," he concluded