- U. S. Federal Trade Commission
- Attn: Chairwoman Deborah Platt Majoras
- 6th & Pennsylvania Avenue, N. W.
- Washington, D.C. 20580
- January 20, 2005
- Honorable Deborah Platt Majoras: Evil this way
- It rides an express elevator to ever deeper degradation:
the gutter, the sewer and at last to a cesspool clotted by bodies of
infants murdered for money. Our elevator operator, Miss FDA chimes:
Up: to Better health, Lower weight and a More beautiful you. Step into
the aspartame express."
- They know! In 1996 FDA listed 92 symptoms, from seizures
to death, reported in 10,000 consumer complaints, more than any other
food additive before or since! Experts cried Halt! Three Congressional
hearings exposed this poison. Renowned physicians protested its approval,
as did the National Soft Drink Association. Emory University Professor
of Pediatrics & Genetics Dr. Louis Elsas' testimony is recorded in
the 8/1/85 Congressional record, page S10842:
- "High blood concentrations of L-phenylalanine are
harmful to human brains in at least three situations:
- (a) In older than 6 months old children and adults with
mature brains high blood concentrations will prolong performance time,
slow brain wave cycles (EEG) and reduce neurotransmitter production in
a reversible manner.
- (b) In newborns to 6 months old with rapidly growing
brains elevated blood phenylalanine produces irreversible brain damage
by slowing migration of oligodendroglia (brain cells) and altering myelin
(nerve insulation) formation.
- (c) In pregnancy, if the mother's blood phenylalanine
is raised in high concentrations, her child's brain development can be
irreversibly damaged. "
- Irreversible brain damage from phenylalanine! Aspartame
is 50% phenylalanine! Yet Ajinomoto ran a full page ad in the Nov 04
Foods & Nutraceuticals with a photo of an infant at its mother's breast
with the caption: "Remember your first taste of aspartame?"
Would you let an ad say: For a really bright smile, brush with
- Aspartame disease was declared a global epidemic by Dr.
H. J. Roberts in his 1,038 page medical text Aspartame Disease, an Ignored
Epidemic. It has triggered an avalanche of birth defects and retardation.
It releases the tumor agent DKP, diketopiperazine, so babies are born with
brain tumors. It interferes with the cardiac conduction system causing
sudden death. Soon defibrillators will be common as fire extinguishers.
Yesterday Renae Wilson of Titusville, FL told me this story:
- "My baby got a cold and the doctor put him on a
prescription with aspartame. I also bought pediatric Tylenol with aspartame
and other remedies. He went to sleep and never woke up. An article about
sudden infant death said most cases occur when it's chilly and the baby
may have a cold (babies get a cold and receive over-the-counter and
drugs) then die in their sleep. I had no knowledge aspartame was a deadly
drug. I used NutraSweet and had all kinds of problems, even symptoms of
MS which I learned are be triggered by aspartame. When I quit, so did the
symptoms. I believe aspartame killed my son. Little Andrew was 2 1/2
- You can read her entire story at
- Review recent articles about SIDS, depleted serotonin,
and toxic breast milk. Dr. Richard Wurtman told Congress it lowers the
seizure threshold and depletes serotonin. This triggers manic depression
or bipolar, insomnia, mood swings, panic attacks, and even suicidal
It interacts with all antidepressants. Wurtman was threatened by the
G D Searle Co, his funding would be cut off if he researched aspartame
induced seizures. Don Rumsfeld was CEO of Searle until he became Secretary
of Defense for Ronald Reagan. He had the power and connections to silence
Wurtman, author of the damning text: Phenylalanine and Brain Function.
Wurtman was silenced.
- UPI investigation on
- Dr. James Bowen warned FDA aspartame is mass poisoning
America and the world. What does a poisoned world look like? Hear victims'
heart-wrenching stories and see candid experts in the vital new documentary
Sweet Misery: A Poisoned World. Hear wife and mother Diane Fleming,
serving 50 years in a Virginia penitentiary because her husband, a Diet
Coke addict, died from methanol poisoning. Aspartame liberates methyl
which slowly poisons victims and breaks down into formaldehyde. Medical
experts' affidavits declared the methanol came from Killer Kola.
- Imagine a baby sipping death from its mother's breast
as she seeks to control her weight with sweetener that makes her crave
carbohydrates and gain weight, and poisons her mother's milk, so that one
morning she finds her child dead in his crib. Killed by Ajinomoto.
- RUMSFELD DISEASE APPROVED BY EXECUTIVE ORDER! Listen
to Attorney James Turner who with famed Dr. John Olney tried to prevent
aspartame's approval. Turner tells what it took to get a deadly poison
approved. The FDA attempted to have Searle indicted for fraud and making
false statements. Both U.S. Prosecutors hired on with the defense team
and the statute of limitations expired. For 16 years the FDA refused to
allow it on the market. When Reagan was elected Don Rumsfeld, CEO of
said he'd call in his markers to get aspartame approved. This is
by a UPI investigation and congressional record. The day after Reagan took
office Arthur Hayes was appointed as FDA Commissioner to get it
- Reagan knew it might take 30 days to get Hayes installed,
so he wrote an Executive Order making the outgoing FDA Commissioner
to act against aspartame before he departed. Then FDA set up a Public Board
of Inquiry that revoked the petition for approval because it had not been
proved safe and causes brain tumors. Hayes overruled the PBOI and let
slip the hounds of disease, disability and death on an innocent unwarned
population. Soon he became a consultant for the NutraSweet Co's public
relations outfit on a 10 year contract at $1,000/day. Hayes then refused
to talk to the press. Who ever heard of a public relations guy who won't
- Page 18 of the testimony by Dr. John Olney to the PBOI
notes FDA admitted aspartame causes brain damage/tumors in neonatal
FDA dismissed this admission as irrelevant on grounds that the approved
uses of aspartame do not include giving it to newborn humans. Yet the
actually target the newborn. Dr. Olney reduced FDA's admission to the
- (a) Only neonates are susceptible to
- (b) Aspartame will not be fed to neonates;
- (c) Glutamate/Aspartame neurotoxicity is irrelevant
to the safety of aspartame.
- Dr Olney declared: "Syllogisms that begin with false
premises lead to false conclusions. The first report of glutamate induced
brain damage documented that both infant and adult mice are
He went into great detail on the combination of glutamate and aspartame
which intensifies and synergizes MSG. Attached is Neurosurgeon Russell
Blaylock's letter to the Miami Herald countering a NutraSweet's front
the Calorie Control Council, for recommending it for pregnant women. Also
posted on <http://www.wnho.net/www.wnho.net
- Congressional hearings revealed that aspartame
deceives the public, as if it were a natural product to compare with
milk. Industry has been cautioned about misleading advertising. Merisant
(owns part of NutraSweet) sued the makers of Splenda for advertising it
as natural when it's really a chlorinated hydrocarbon as are DDT &
Chloradane. True, Splenda is bad news, but the kettle is calling the pot
black. Both are guilty.
- Read the attached 92 symptom FDA report and view Sweet
Misery to be assured this poison shouldn't be sold for adults much less
to kill infants and erase the brains of our children. Hold Ajinomoto
responsible for marketing murder. Drain the cesspool, Stop killing
- MISSION POSSIBLE INTERNATIONAL
- Dr. Betty Martini, Founder
- 770 242-2599
- 9270 River Club Parkway
- Duluth, GA 30097
- Artificially Sweetened Times
- Rebuttal to industry propaganda
- Aspartame Documentary: Sweet Misery: A Poisoned World
- can get further copies, DVD or VHS, from
- Medical Text: Aspartame Disease: An Ignored Epidemic,
H. J. Roberts, M.D.
- http://www.sunsentpress.com or 1 800 827 7991
- Excitotoxins: The Taste That Kills, neurosurgeon Russell
- Aspartame Web sites:
- http://www.wnho.net/ (click on aspartame)
- and http://www.dorway.com/
- Aspartame Toxicity Center
- Aspartame Information List
- http://www.wnho.net/ (click on aspartame)
- Letter From Dr. Roberts....
- U.S. Federal Trade Commission
- ATTN: Chairwoman Deborah Platt Majoras
- 6th & Pennsylvania Avenue, N. W.
- Washington, D.C. 205800
- Re: Deceptive Advertising Aimed At Infants and
- Dear Honorable Deborah Platt Majoras,
- I am enclosing a copy of the full-page ad by Ajinomoto
that appeared in the November 2004 edition of Functional Foods &
It is titled, "Remember your first taste of aspartame?" The
companion photo depicts an infant feeding at its mother's breast.
- The promo begins: "mothers' milk doesn't contain
aspartame, but it might as well. Aspartame is made from things which occur
in larger quantities in other parts of our diet, and our bodies digest
it completely naturally." It concludes: "The principal
of aspartame are two building blocks of protein, just like those found
in eggs, fruit, cheese or fish - and even in mothers' milk."
- In my opinion - as a corporate-neutral physician who
has extensively researched and published on "aspartame disease"
for two decades -- this constitutes potentially dangerous deceptive
The chief reasons are (1) omission of other major components of aspartame,
especially the 10% FREE methyl alcohol (methanol), (2) the profound adverse
effects of the large amounts of its "two building blocks of
on neurotransmitters and other important systems, and (3) the absence of
any reference to the terrible reactions induced by aspartame products in
numerous infants and children.
- I have extensively detailed these issues in several
more than a score of medical/scientific publications, testimony to the
U.S. Senate and an FDA advisory group, and my summarized professional
about the unwise use of aspartame products by pregnant women, infants and
children. The testimony, "position paper", a brochure of
DISEASE: AN IGNORED EPIDEMIC, and my professional credentials are
The 1000 - page book reviews only the first 1200 aspartame reactors in
my data base (It now exceeds 1400.)
- I do not know in how many periodicals this ad has
The potential adverse public health consequences from such promotion are
ENORMOUS... based on the documented medical, neurological, psychological,
metabolic, immune, genetic and carcinogenic effects of aspartame and its
breakdown products. As a relevant point, I cite several breast-feeding
infants who develop convulsions while their mothers drank a
- I am grateful for our First Amendment, I nevertheless
believe that the power of the federal government to regulate interstate
commerce and advertising MUST be invoked here. This includes (1) halting
such ads aimed specifically and unfairly at infants and children because
they are misleading "in a material respect," (2) demanding
ads that underscore the risks of aspartame products, and (3) totally
aspartame products from the market as an imminent health threat. Indeed,
many corespondents have decried their promotion for children as
- Let me express thanks for your interest and prompt
to this profound matter in view of the inevitable corporate and political
resistance such action will generate. But you MUST protect our children
before it is too late!!
- H. J. Roberts, M.D., FACP, FCCP
- To contact Dr. Roberts by email: