- ALBANY, NY -- Three
more captive deer in New York have tested positive for chronic wasting
- Agricultural officials say the three deer belonged to
the same Oneida County herd that yielded the first positive last week.
There are now five deer in New York with confirmed cases of C-W-D. All
of the cases come from captive herds -- though state officials are checking
to see if the deadly disease spread into the wild.
- C-W-D is a transmissible disease that affects the brain
and central nervous system of certain deer and elk. There is no evidence
that C-W-D is linked to disease in humans or domestic livestock other than
deer and elk.
- Copyright 2005 Associated Press. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Patricia A. Doyle, PhD
- Please visit my "Emerging Diseases" message
board at: http://www.clickitnews.com/ubbthreads/postlist.php?
- Zhan le Devlesa tai sastimasa
- Go with God and in Good Health