- Hundreds of pigs are said to have died in the last 15
days after consuming what has been described as polluted garbage in several
slums here. Piles of carcasses of the animals are rotting and there have
been reports of dogs falling sick after consuming the flesh of the dead
- As there has been no official explanation for the mass
death of pigs, the pig owners, mostly Dalits [members of the Hindu caste
also known as "untouchables"] engaged as cleaners with the Agra
Municipal Corporation, have called it "Pig flu". <<
- The unexplained pig deaths in the Uttar Pradesh region
of India are cause for concern. The transmission to dogs eating the pigs
is one red flag, but two more are the recent deaths of people and peacocks
in the same region.
- These unexplained deaths have an encephalitis component
which has now been described for H5N1 avian influenza in Vietnam. The pigs
have "viral fever", the children have encephalitis, and the peacocks
have neurological symptoms like polio.
- Bird flu can cause neurological problems in people and
- A mysterious illness in the three species in the same
region is cause for concern.
- © 2005 Recombinomics. All rights reserved.
- Mystery Deaths Of Hundreds Of Pigs In India
- A ProMED mail post
- ProMED-mail is a program of the
- International Society for Infectious Diseases
- ProMED mail
- From Prof Robert Lee:
- The above ProMED article reports "pig flu"
is killing pigs in northern
- India. A/H5N1 can infect pigs:
- See H5N1 swine sequences at PubMed here:
- Note that later 2 sequences were isolated from swine
in Shandong province of
- China, in 2003.
- If the Taj city pigs are, in fact, dying of a swine flu
and that influenza
- is A/H5N1, this could be a very ominous development.