- TEHRAN (Xinhuanet) -- Iran
Saturday launched a production line of torpedoes in order to promote its
defense capability at sea, the United States has recently escalated its
threats on Tehran, the official IRNA news agency reported.
- Defense Minister Ali Shamkhani said at the launch ceremony
that the production marked completion of "the Islamic Republic's defensive
cycle at sea."
- "Iran's marine units have now achieved an effective
weapon with a complicated and modern technology in confronting surface
and under-sea threats," Shamkhani said, adding the torpedoes could
be mounted on helicopters, surface vessels and submarines." Some of
the important features of this weapon are the possibility to use it in
shallow waters, without being spotted byradars, as well as its extraordinarily
high speed, while beingnotably cost-effective," he said.
- Since mid-January, US President George W. Bush, Vice
PresidentDick Cheney and Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice have made
harshcomments against Iran.
- Iran has vowed to defend itself with deterrent power.