- "The Homeland Security agenda consists of breaking
within America all forms of social resistance and opposition to the 'war
- Orwellian "Scenarios"
- A recent Report of the Homeland Security Council entitled
Planning Scenarios describes in minute detail, the Bush administration's
preparations in the case of a terrorist attack by an outside enemy called
the Universal Adversary (UA).
- The Universal Adversary, is identified in the scenarios
as an abstract entity used for the purposes of simulation. Yet upon more
careful examination, this Universal Adversary is by no means illusory.
It includes the following categories of potential "conspirators":
- "foreign [Islamic] terrorists" ,
- "domestic radical groups", [antiwar and civil
- "state sponsored adversaries" ["rogue
states", "unstable nations"]
- "disgruntled employees" [labor and union activists].
- According to the Planning Scenarios Report :
- "Because the attacks could be caused by foreign
terrorists; domestic radical groups; state sponsored adversaries; or in
some cases, disgruntled employees, the perpetrator has been named, the
Universal Adversary (UA). The focus of the scenarios is on response capabilities
and needs, not threat-based prevention activities." (See Planning
- The domestic radical groups and labor activists, which
visibly constitute a threat to the established political order, are now
conveniently lumped together with foreign Islamic terrorists, suggesting
that the PATRIOT anti-terror laws together with the Big Brother law enforcement
apparatus are eventually intended to be used against potential domestic
- While the Universal Adversary is "make-believe",
the simulations constitute a dress rehearsal of a real life emergency situation:
- "The scenarios have been developed in a way that
allows them to be adapted to local conditions throughout the country"
- Fifteen Distinct Scenarios
- The scenarios cover the entire array of threats:
- 15 distinct threat scenarios to the Security of America
carried out by four categories of enemies: Islamic terrorists, radical
groups, rogue adversaries and labor activists.
- The scenarios simulate operations carried out by the
Universal Adversary (UA). They include inter alia a nuclear detonation
(with a small 10-Kiloton improvised nuclear device, anthrax attacks, a
biological disease outbreak including a pandemic influenza, not to mention
a biological plague outbreak. Various forms of chemical weapons attacks
are also envisaged including the use of toxic industrial chemicals, and
nerve gas. Radiological attacks through the emission of a radioactive aerosol
are also envisaged. (See Text box below)
- What is revealing in the "doomsday scripts"
is that they bear no resemblance to the weaponry used by clandestine urban
"terrorists". In fact, in several cases, they correspond to weapons
systems which are part of the US arsenal and which have been used in US
sponsored military operations. The description of the nuclear device bears
a canny resemblance to America's tactical nuclear weapon ("mini nuke")
, which also has a 10-kiloton yield, approximately two-thirds of a Hiroshima
bomb. That Homeland Security should actually envisage a make believe scenario
of large scale nuclear attacks by 'domestic radicals' and/or Islamic terrorists
borders on the absurd.
- With regard to the nerve gas attack scenario, in a cruel
irony, it is the same type of nerve gas (as well as mustard gas) used by
the US military against civilians in Fallujah.
- Building a Consensus
- These simulations are applied to sensitize and "educate"
key decision makers. The simulated data, the various categories of 'conspirators",
the types of deadly weapons envisaged in the simulations are part of this
knowledge base. The political objective of the Bush administration is to
create a broad consensus: a feeling of allegiance and commitment within
the emergency preparedness community.
- The nature of the adversaries and the dangers of the
attacks (ranging from nuclear detonations to nerve agents and anthrax)
become "talking points". In the scenarios, the conspirators including
the "domestic radical groups" and "disgruntled employees"
are described as being in possession of "weapons of mass destruction".
- In the comprehensive 2005 anti-terrorist TOPOFF-3 exercises
, (similar to war exercises, conducted recently under the auspices of Homeland
Security) precise data sources were simulated and used to identify potential
- This "world of fiction" underlying the scenarios
becomes real. The data sources "replicate actual terrorist networks
down to names, photos, and drivers license numbers."
- The scenarios create for the more than 10,000 TOPOFF-3
participants, a carefully designed "reality model" which shapes
their behavior and understanding:
- "Planners included the threats they considered most
likely or devastating, said Marc Short, a [Homeland Security] department
- The "reality model" script of threats and conspirators
replaces the real world.
- These fabricated realities penetrate the inner-consciousness
of key decision makers. The reality model script molds the behavior of
public officials, it builds a "knowledge" and "understanding",
namely a shared ignorance regarding the war on terrorism and the "adversaries"
who oppose the administration's war and homeland security agendas.
- A world of fiction becomes reality. The scenarios "enable
exercise players to simulate intelligence gathering and analysis",
in preparation of an actual emergency situation which, according to the
scenarios' assumptions, would lead to mass arrests of presumed terror suspects.
- Fiction becomes fact.
- Conversely fact becomes fiction. "Ignorance is
strength". The "scenarios" require submission and conformity:
for those key decision-makers at the federal, State and municipal levels,
the US government, namely the Bush Administration is the unquestioned guardian
of the truth. The outright lies concerning Osama, Zarqawi, the "rogue
enemies" of America, "weapons of mass destruction", not
to mention 9-11, are upheld as indelible truths.
- What we are dealing with is a process of indoctrination,
which develops a new righteousness and which ultimately abolishes the Rule
of Law. In the words of Central Command General (ret) Tommy Franks:
- "A terrorist, massive, casualty-producing event
[will occur] somewhere in the Western world it may be in the United States
of America that causes our population to question our own Constitution
and to begin to militarize our country in order to avoid a repeat of another
mass, casualty-producing event." (Cigar Aficionado, December 2003)
- "Reality Model" Script based on "Flimsy
- The process of emergency preparedness could be launched,
even in the case of a threat based on "intelligence", which proves
at some later date to be unfounded. In the scripted "scenarios",
the pictures and IDs of potential conspirators in police data banks are
real, leading immediately in the case of an actual emergency to mass arrests.
- Known and documented, several of the post-911 terrorist
threats were in fact based on fake intelligence. Several of the high profile
code orange terror alerts had been fabricated outright. (See Fabricating
Intelligence as a Justification for War, See also
- Acknowledged by Tom Ridge, upon retiring from his position
as Sec of Homeland Security:
- "there was only flimsy evidence to justify raising
the threat level& Ridge [said] .he often disagreed with administration
officials who wanted to elevate the threat level to orange, or "high"
risk of terrorist attack, but was overruled... There were times when some
people were really aggressive about raising it, and we said, 'For that?'
" (USA Today , 10 May 2005)
- Fake intelligence is part of the disinformation campaign.
It plays a key role in building the "war on terrorism" consensus.
It builds a justification for war. The national security doctrine rests
on the existence of an outside enemy, which threatens the Homeland.
- The falsehoods created by this "flimsy intelligence"
are embodied in the terror attack "scenarios" and exercises.
Lies are transformed into indelible truths. The latter are shared by State
officials, private sector decision-makers and "first responders"
in a national emergency situation, if and when it occurs.
- In other words these Orwellian "scenarios"
assume that the various threats must be taken seriously, irrespective of
the source of the intelligence or the reliability of the intelligence.
The scripted "scenarios" and anti-terror TOPOFF exercises are
based on fake terror threats, which requires the production of fake intelligence.
- Martial Law
- Both the "scenarios" and the TOPOFF-3 anti-terror
exercises were barely mentioned in the media. In other words, ww are not
dealing with a propaganda ploy directed towards the broader American public.
The propaganda in this case is targeted. It takes the form of "training"
and emergency preparedness:
- "We are moving forward in applying lessons learned
to anticipate and address all possible attack scenarios," an F.B.I.
spokeswoman said, asking not to be named because her department was not
the lead author of the document. "With enhanced law enforcement and
intelligence community partnerships, we are able to better detect terrorist
plots and dismantle terrorist organizations." (NYT 26 Feb 2005)
- The "Scenarios" were developed for "Use
in National, Federal, State and Local Homeland Security Preparedness".
They instill in public and private sector officials and participants a
sense of responsibility, duty and awareness in relation to something which
is ultimately fictitious.
- The "scenarios" and anti-terrorist exercises
develop observance and compliance by public officials, law enforcement,
intelligence, military and civilian federal and State employees, etc.
- Moreover, the scenarios also envisage the circumstances
under which Martial Law could be triggered in the case of a threat by the
Universal Adversary. In other words, fake intelligence could indeed be
used to trigger a martial law situation in America, much in the same way
as (deja vu) fake intelligence was used "to fit the policy" of
invading Iraq, as revealed in the controversial Downing Street Secret Memo.
- In a real life emergency, instructed by the relevant
authorities, law enforcement officials would proceed to arrest the Universal
Adversary, including members of radical groups, labor activists, etc.
- Law enforcement officials would no longer be instructed
to uphold the Rule of Law. In fact quite the opposite.
- The arrests would be conducted on behalf of officials
in high office, who have broken the law, and who are known to have committed
extensive war crimes.
- In the "reality model" script, the US State,
its military-intelligence apparatus and war planning machine become the
guardians of the peace. The State is above the law.
- The "reality model" script not only sets the
stage for Martial Law, it also constitutes an obvious political and legal
safeguard against prosecution and/or impeachment of the President and his
- Some 88 members of Congress, in a letter addressed to
President Bush, have recently demanded "whether there was a coordinated
effort with the U.S. intelligence community and/or British officials to
"fix" the intelligence and facts around the policy [of waging
an illegal war on Iraq] as the leaked document states?"
- Under martial law, the Rule of Law is banished. The
lies, crimes and atrocities of the real world are substituted by a "reality
model" script of fictitious attacks by fictitious "conspirators".
Those who in any way question to existence of the Universal Adversary would
themselves be the object of possible arrest or prosecution.
- Financing the Police State Apparatus
- A large amount of "real money" from tax payers
pockets is used to protect America against a non-existent enemy, the Universal
- Under the guise of emergency preparedness, the administration
has allocated more than of 40 billion dollars to beefing up the police
state apparatus, an amount broadly equivalent to the "official"
budget of the CIA.
- The scenarios and exercises of terror attacks are being
used by Homeland Security Sec Michael Chertoff, to push "risk-based
planning" as a central theme of the DHS, also with a view to boosting
the Homeland Security budget.
- Out of the $41.1 billion, some $27 billion are allocated
to discretionary expenditures. A hefty $3.6 billion are allocated "to
train and equip first responders [i.e. consensus building], such as police
officers, firefighters and emergency medical technicians." (http://www.govexec.com/dailyfed/0205/020705c1.htm
- A multibillion dollar Domestic Nuclear Detection Office
is envisaged, with a mandate to "detect and report attempts [by conspirators]
to import, assemble or transport nuclear explosive devices, fissile material,
or radiological material intended for illegal use"
- The ultimate result (and intent) of these various counterterrorism
initiatives, is not to "make America safer" against possible
attacks by a non-existent Universal Adversary. Quite the opposite, emergency
preparedness is the pretext for the militarization of civilian justice
and law enforcement (See Frank Morales, "Homeland Defense" and
the Militarisation of America, Frank Morales, Sept 2003 http://globalresearch.ca/articles/MOR309A.html
- The Homeland Security agenda consists of breaking within
America all forms of social resistance and opposition to the "war
- * * *
- The Centre for Research on Globalization (CRG) at www.globalresearch.ca
grants permission to cross-post original Global Research articles in their
entirety, or any portions thereof, on community internet sites, as long
as the text & title are not modified. The source must be acknowledged
and an active URL hyperlink address of the original CRG article must be
indicated. The author's copyright note must be displayed. For publication
of Global Research articles in print or other forms including commercial
internet sites, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Disclaimer: The views expressed in this article are the
sole responsibility of the author and do not necessarily reflect those
of the Centre for Research on Globalization.
- For media inquiries: email@example.com
- © Copyright MICHEL CHOSSUDOVSKY GLOBAL RESEARCH