- Beijing will establish an animal epidemic disease prevention
and control center together with an animal disease information management
and early-warning system, sources with the municipal agriculture bureau
said on Sunday [1 May 2005].
- The move is to strengthen the supervision over animal
epidemics and improve emergency handling abilities for any exotic animal
epidemic diseases, said an official of the bureau.
- According to the official, Beijing will enhance the management
for animal epidemic prevention, improve the animal epidemic prevention
and supervision system, and integrate the veterinary technical resources.
- The city also plans to establish an animal quarantine
farm and 2 isolation and disposal stations for sick animals or contaminated
animal products, while promoting experiments in chain distribution for
pesticides, improving the archive management for the use of pesticides
and animal remedies in plantations, and fish-breeding and poultry-raising
- In Beijing today, several animal epidemic disease testing
stations have been established in the Beijing Zoo, Badaling Wild Animal
World, and other zoos.
- The general structure of the competent authorities dealing
with animal health issues in the People's Republic of China (PRC) as as
- 1. On the central level, there are 2 main entities:
- a. The Ministry of Agriculture (MOA), comprising 4 principal
- -The Bureau of Animal Husbandry and Health;
- -The National General Station of Animal Husbandry and
- -The Animal Disease Monitoring Centre; and
- -The National Institute for Veterinary Pharmaceutics
- b. The State General Administration of the PRC for Quality
- Supervision and Inspection and Quarantine(AQSIQ).
- 2. On the regional and local levels, both of the above
central structures have their provincial, municipal and other branches.
- Regarding these, the following information (dated 2001)
could be obtained from a report of an EU mission to China; see "DG
(SANCO)/3461/2001 - MR Final":
- There are 31 provincial, 374 regional (prefecture level),
and 1990 county level animal husbandry and health bureaus (hereafter referred
to as "regional veterinary authority" or "veterinary bureau")
all over the country. As a functional agent of the relevant local government,
the regional veterinary authority is located at the site of the relevant
government, and its personnel and financial affairs are managed by that
government. However, technical matters are directed by the central veterinary
- Under their respective authority (and for technical issues
under the authority of the General Station of MOA), 31 provincial, 407
prefecture, 3117 county animal husbandry and veterinary stations have been
established. (Some prefectures and counties have more than one veterinary
station, smaller stations existing in the larger townships.) The stations
are equipped for diagnosis and surveillance, animal health research, diagnostic
and inspection services, and are responsible for the prevention and quarantine
of animal disease and zoonoses, as well as the promotion and application
of veterinary diagnostic techniques. The term "quarantine" is
often used by the Chinese veterinary authorities to indicate not only quarantine
at import or export of live animals, but also in relation to inspections
and certification in relation to animal movements within the country itself
or in view of animal health supervision. Their budget mostly depends on
financial allocation from local/central government, but also on charges
for providing animal health care.
- The Beijing changes might contribute to commendable improved
surveillance and reporting, hopefully to be followed by similar steps in
other regions of Greater China. - Mod.AS.
- Patricia A. Doyle, PhD
- Please visit my "Emerging Diseases" message
board at: http://www.clickitnews.com/ubbthreads/postlist.php?
- Zhan le Devlesa tai sastimasa
- Go with God and in Good Health