- Six greyhounds at Lincoln Park have died from 'kennel
cough' in the last 10 days.
- All dogs at the park have been under quarantine since
April 16th, when a kennel cough outbreak began.
- Park spokesman Michael Trainor said 100 of the 800 dogs
under quarantine at the track now have kennel cough.
- The flu-like kennel cough is highly contagious among
- The "kennel cough" sounds remarkably like the
bird flu infections of greyhound in Florida last season. For the first
time, avian influenza (H3N8) was isolated from a dog. H3N8 had been
isolated from horses, as had H7N7. Last season greyhounds in Florida were
dying and several tracks in Florida were closed.
- This season there was a similar outbreak in Florida
although H3N8 isolation was not reported. The infections appear to be
much more widespread this season and many tracks have temporarily closed,
but the infection is still being described as a flu-like "kennel
- Patricia A. Doyle, PhD
- Please visit my "Emerging Diseases" message
- Zhan le Devlesa tai sastimasa
- Go with God and in Good Health