- BRUSSELS -- A news agency
run by the office of Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei claimed
that Israel was "using the mask of Al-Qaeda and [Abu Musab] Zarqawi
to hunt down diplomats based in Iraq" and that "the London bombings
were also part of the mischief by Israel".
- "Israel is now in control of religious extremists,
particularly the Wahabis and the Salafis, in Arabia and North Africa",
- Fars News Agency used as its source "a senior Iraqi
security official who requested anonymity" to claim that "the
role of Israel in terrorist attacks and sabotage in Iraq is becoming clearer
by the day".
- "The Israelis infiltrated the Iraqi government at
the time of Iyad Allawi's premiership, using [ex-Defence Minister] Hazem
Shaalan and [ex-Interior Minister] Fallah Naqib as their agents",
the news agency quoted the unnamed source as saying. "They placed
Baathist elements, particularly unknown officers of Iraq's Military Intelligence,
in sensitive security, intelligence and financial positions".
- The Iranian news agency's source claimed that Israel
was intercepting communications between Iraqi officials, police, military
and intelligence agencies. "Israel is staging the biggest terrorist
attacks in Iraq. They are even disrupting the economy and attacking infrastructural
systems such as water and electricity to create insecurity, cause widespread
discontent and bring to power an anti-Shiite government".
- "Israeli-led teams in Baghdad carried out the assassination
of some of the foreign envoys in Baghdad and the murder of the Egyptian
ambassador", the news agency quoted its source as saying.
- Observers note that Iran has stepped up its anti-Israeli
propaganda since the election of the ultra-conservative Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.
The state-run media have been reviving the story of four Iranians in Lebanon,
who have been missing since the 1980s, accusing Israel of kidnapping them.
- "This is Tehran's reaction to what they are describing
as a 'massive Zionist propaganda campaign' to discredit Ahmadinejad",
said Hassan Ilhami, a media consultant who regularly monitors broadcasts
from the Middle East.
- "With such wayward claims, they are also deflecting
attention from their own clandestine activities in Iraq", he said.
- "They are also blaming the Israelis for the London
bombings, because they know that they, as the sole remaining active state
sponsor of terrorism with extensive connections to Islamic fundamentalists
worldwide, are on the hot seat right now", the analyst added.