- Hello, Jeff - Another report that indicates there is
a big problem in China. Of course, hosptials will take the brunt of infection
as they will here.
- There has been a news blackout regarding conditions of
outbreak in China. Reports have managed to get smuggled out under Chinese
radar. The situation does not look good.
- PNEUMONIA CLUSTER - CHINA (XINJIANG): REQUEST FOR INFORMATION
- A ProMED-mail post ProMED-mail is a program of the International
Society for Infectious Diseases
- We have heard from a reliable source about a report of
a cluster of pneumonia cases in Tashan Hospital, leading to the isolation
of patient(s) and hospital healthcare workers for "viral infection."
- Tashan is located 600 km from the capital city of Xinjiang
Province and is the area where an outbreak of H5N1 among migratory birds
(see ProMED-mail postings below) was reported to the OIE by the Ministry
of Agriculture recently.
- To date, reports are that influenza was ruled out in
these patients, and a diagnosis of "lobar pneumonia secondary to streptococcal
A infection" was made.
- [ProMED-mail does not have further detailed information
on this cluster (such as number of patients, ages, outcomes) or specific
information on the laboratory testing that was performed. We are posting
this report, as the report of isolation of patients and hospital staff
is curious in the face of a bacterial pneumonia cluster and begs the question
of why this was implemented. More information from knowledgeable sources
would be appreciated. - Mod.MPP]
- Patricia A. Doyle, PhD
- Please visit my "Emerging Diseases" message
board at: http://www.clickitnews.com/ubbthreads/postlist.php?
- Zhan le Devlesa tai sastimasa
- Go with God and in Good Health