Londoners Desperately
Seek Missing Loved Ones

By Jeremy Lovell and Tim Castle
LONDON (Reuters) - Yvonne Nash just wants to know what has happened to her partner Jamie Gordon, missing since four deadly bomb blasts brought London to a standstill.
Nash has issued an urgent appeal for information about Gordon, who was in the Euston area of London on Thursday at the same time as the last of the four bombs tore the roof off a bus.
"We're doing all we can in terms of contacting hospitals and the casualty (information line) but we've had no luck in tracking him down. The not knowing is so painful. We just want to know what happened," she said.
People were still frantically searching hospitals for friends and relatives on Friday evening.
A police emergency line had handled more than 103,000 calls by midday on Friday, and hospital phones rang incessantly as the search grew more desperate.
Some people travelled from hospital to hospital handing out pictures of their missing loved ones and colleagues, while others sent out appeals for information on television and radio.
John Steadman, 39, was cycling with friends round the London hospitals looking for his brother-in-law, Philip Russell, 28.
"I'm suggesting going round showing some of the doctors and nurses photos just in case there is human error putting in the information," he told reporters outside the Royal London Hospital in east London.
At the Accident and Emergency unit at St Mary's hospital in central London four young women working at an accountancy firm handed out pictures of missing colleague Monika Suchocka, 23, a visiting student from Poland getting work experience.
"We had a call from her saying she was walking to catch the bus to work because the underground station was closed. That was just minutes before the bus blew up," said colleague Tracy.
"Her English is good. But if she is in shock it might have gone. We just want to find her. She is such a lovely girl."
Police said more than 700 people were injured in the blasts which hit three underground trains and the bus without warning in less than one hour at the height of the morning rush hour.
On Friday afternoon there were 86 casualties still being treated at six London hospitals, with at least 19 in intensive care.
Outside University College Hospital, near the site where the bus bomb killed at least 13 people, a young woman was desperately searching for a lost friend.
Too upset to speak, she handed a Reuters reporter a sheet of paper bearing the picture of Rachelle Chung For Yuen, a smiling east Asian woman wearing a denim jacket.
"Her families and friends fear that she might have been caught in the King's Cross tube station explosion on the Piccadilly line," it read. "We have been looking for her endlessly since the incident, but to no avail."
Hair stylist Phil Beer, 22, was on the same underground train with a colleague travelling south from Kings Cross on Thursday morning.
His colleague is in St Thomas hospital suffering severe burns, but Phil is still missing.
"It is killing us," his mother Kim told Reuters. "He always kisses me and cuddles me and tells me he loves me every time he goes out of the door -- which is what he did yesterday and I haven't seen or heard from him since.
"He would always phone me, no matter what," she said. "We have called the hospitals, the police, the help lines, done everything. It is devastating."
But amid the anxiety, there was some slight relief.
Martine Wright, 32, an office worker from Finsbury Park, north London, was discovered in intensive care in hospital on Friday after anxious family and friends put out an appeal to find her.
- Additional reporting by James Kilner and Emma Reynolds
Copyright © 2005 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.



This Site Served by TheHostPros