- Hello, Jeff - Monitoring for various Avian Influenza
strains in New York State needs to be done aggressively. Around May 24th
the first shipment of stray dogs from animal shelters in China arrived
in New York State just miles from the Plum Island Animal Facility. The
first shipment of dogs headed for the US were shipped to North Shore Animal
League via JFK airport.
- As soon as I became cognizant of the shipping of dogs
from Chinese animal shelters in China to the US I posted the information
so that people would be aware of the situation. The first group of 30
dogs went to NY State.
- There will be other dogs heading to animal shelters across
the US. I think that it is very important to monitor for emerging infectious
diseases such as Avian Influenza, FMD and other diseases. The dogs were
not quarantined and were offered for adoption on the very next day after
their arrival in the US.
- Patricia Doyle
- H7N2 Bird Flu on Duck Farm in Sullivan New
- By Dr. Henry L. Niman, PhD
- Recombinomics Commentary
- South Korea has halted the import of poultry products
from New York state after the United States reported a suspicious case
of bird flu in the region, the Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry said
- The U.S. Agriculture Department informed the World Organization
for Animal Health on June 10 of the outbreak of a low-pathogenic bird flu
case on a duck farm in Sullivan, New York, the ministry said.
- The virus is known as the H7N2 strain, but it can develop
into a high-pathogenic one and infect humans, the ministry said, adding
the U.S. farm authorities are conducting further tests.
- Additional testing of H7N2 in New York will be of interest.
The two avian sero-types that have produced reported fatalities in humans
are H5N1 and H7N7. Highly pathogenic versions of both sero-types have
been isolated with a polybasic cleavage site. H7 appears to be efficiently
transmitted human-to-human, but disease is usually mild. The largest outbreak
in humans was in 2003 in the Netherlands involving H7N7. H7N7 has also
caused equine flu. This season H7 has been detected in North Korea and
- Last season H7N2 bird flu was detected in the United
States in the Delmarva peninsula. In addition, H7N2 antibodies were detected
in a New York resident who was hospitalized for two weeks in November 2003
with fever and cough.
- More information on the H7N2 in New York this year would
- Patricia A. Doyle, PhD
- Please visit my "Emerging Diseases" message
board at: http://www.clickitnews.com/ubbthreads/postlist.php?
- Zhan le Devlesa tai sastimasa
- Go with God and in Good Health