- TIRANA (Xinhuanet) -- Macedonia
announced Monday a temporary ban of the import of chicken from Turkey and
Romania in view of the cases of bird flu discovered in these two countries,
the Macedonian Information Agency (MIA) reported.
- "There is no danger of bird flu in Macedonia
and the authorized institutions are following closely the situation,"
the Director ofthe Veterinary Administration of Macedonia Sloboden Cokrevski
saidafter announcing the ban.
- "There is no room for panic, because the information
on bird flu in these countries are preliminary," Cokrevski said, adding
that there was still no official confirmation on whether there were pathogens
- Cokrevski also informed that an inter-institutional
commission had been established to conduct the issues of prevention and
- Albania Bans Poultry Imports From Turkey, Romania
- TIRANA (Xinhuanet) -- Albania announced on
Monday a ban onpoultry import from Turkey and Romania in view of the avian
flu cases discovered in these two countries.
- As a result of the controls made from the country's
Food Control Inspectorate, there were no signs of this disease in Albania
so far, the Ministry of Agriculture and Consumer Protection said.
- According to the sources from this ministry, the
poultry products are imported to Albania only from countries determined
bythe European Commission and are the subjects to veterinary controls in
the border crossing points.
- Meanwhile, the import of these products from Asian
countries had been blocked since over one year before, the sources said.
- Bulgaria Suspends Live Poultry Imports From Turkey,
- SOFIA (Xinhuanet) -- Bulgaria on Monday suspended
the import of live wild birds, poultry, eggs and all kinds of products
made of birds from neighboring Turkey and Romania, in an effort to prevent
possible spread of bird flu virus from the two countries.
- The step was taken after Agriculture and Forest Minister
Nihat Kabil issued three administrative orders on late Monday, among which
the first is the ban order.
- The other two orders are on the banning of migratory
birds hunting and the strengthening of monitor and control over fowls by
the local poultry-farmers.
- Kabil explained that the decision is made after the
European Commission confirmed the veterinary service on the issue in Turkey
- The decision was made after a new round of bird flu
took place last week in Romania and Turkey.
- Experts have considered that the virus was possibly
carried in by migratory birds from the cold Siberia and Northern Europe.