- In a surprising move, the House of Representatives on
September 14, 2005 approved "The Local Law Enforcement Hate Crimes
Prevention Act of 2005," HR2662, as an amendment to the Children'S
Safety Act, HR3132. It was approved 223-199.
- The Senate is expected to also approve a similar amendment
within a month.
- This federal legislation, orchestrated by the Anti-Defamation
League of B'nai B'rith will lead to creation of a vast anti-hate bureaucracy
in America, similar to what now exists in Canada. In Canada it is a "hate
crime" to publicly criticize such federally protected groups as homosexuals
and Jews. In Canada free speech talk radio no longer exists. It is even
illegal now in some areas to evangelize or "proselytize" in public.
- HR2662, S1145, while ostensibly punishing only violent
hate crimes, nevertheless creates an anti-hate bureaucracy through several
- 1. It breaks down all barriers between federal and states,
rights in law enforcement. It allows federal "thought police"
to meddle, upon the flimsiest of pretexts, in states, enforcement of civil
- 2. It requires all states to pass and enforce ADL-style
- 3. It enforces nationwide the working ADL definition
of "hate" as being "bias" against federally protected
groups, such as homosexuals. Such automatically makes the Bible into "hate
literature" and preaching from it into "hate speech." Result:
Bible-believing Christians become potential hate criminals.
- The nation was aghast last October 10th when the ADL'S
national executive board member, Lynne Abraham, D.A. of Philadelphia, arrested
11 Christians as hate criminals. Her charge: Their preaching was "biased"
against homosexuals. They were "hate criminals" because they
used an "instrument of crime" (a megaphone) to express "hate
speech," (Bible verses) against homosexuals.
- If this "big brother legislation" becomes law,
the ADL and federal government will, through enabling legislation and judicial
precedents, be exponentially empowered to indict Christians. Pastors, talk
show hosts, publishers, critics of Israel, etc. will be liable to arrest
just like the Philadelphia Eleven.
- THERE'S STILL TIME TO PROTEST
- Approval by the House last week does not mean that the
members of the House or Senate, by granting approval, will have cast their
final vote on this Orwellian legislation. Approving an amendment to a bill
is not the same as passing a bill on its own terms. Final approval will
come only after conference between the House and Senate decides whether
this hate bill, in amendment form, should be included in passage of a children'S
protection bill. Until then, members of the House and Senate are free to
change their votes. It is vital that all lovers of freedom and free speech
- Last spring, on June 15, this same legislation was approved
by the Senate in amendment form. However, largely as a result of non-stop,
wide publicity against it by the National Prayer Network, and many talk-show
hosts, it was defeated in conference between the House and Senate on Oct
8, 2004. The same can happen again if Americans will raise a holy howl
of protest against the theft of our First Amendment freedoms.
- To protest to your members of Congress, call toll free
- It is time to get educated fast on the dangers of hate
crime legislation. Ted Pike'S gripping video documentary, "Hate Laws:
Making Criminals of Christians," (now available on DVD) will give
you, your pastor, and your church or civic club a complete education on
the origins and ambitions of hate laws worldwide.
- Come to http://www.truthtellers.org
to order this video online at $24.90 postage paid or to read many more
articles on 'anti-hate' laws.
- Ted Pike 503-631-3808
- NATIONAL PRAYER NETWORK
- PO Box 828, Clackamas, OR 97015