- "So far nine of the 10 fatalities have been senior
citizens residing in a retirement home where the outbreak began, but one
of the victims was a healthy staff member."
- The death of a healthy staff member is cause for concern.
Although daily press releases have provided basic numbers, the missing
detail has created confusion. It is unclear how many of the hospitalized
are elderly residents, and how many are hospital staff or visitors. The
lowering of the infected vistors from 3 to 2 is also confusing.
- More detail on the number of staff or visitors hospitalized
would be useful as would more detail on the group of patients. It is unclear
how many are in serious or critical condition or how many are on respirators.
- More detail on how the illness is presenting or progressing
would also be useful.
- Failure to identify an etiological agent has cast doubt
on the negative data on known pathogens. The number of hospitalized residents,
staff, and visitors suggests this is not a "garden variety" virus,
and more detail on the patients would be useful to eliminate H5N1 or SARS-like
coronaviruses as likely candidates.
- © 2005 Recombinomics. All rights reserved.