- The following is a computer translation of a recent Abundant
News from Boxun.com (China) report:
- Arises: 58 examples, Died: 17 examples
- In fact, 219 people isolated; 113 people inspected. Arises:
67 people; 23 people confirmed 12 people. 31 people died...17 in hospital,
14 examples died strangely of the locality, the local data turned the on-line
data. (Abundant news boxun.com)
- This machine translation of a recent Boxun report indicates
the human death toll in Sichuan province associated with Ebola-like symptoms
is 31. Other reports from China indicate several pigs are dying daily,
as are other livestock. The area has been quarantined and reporters are
told of a swine bacterial infection. However, the high case fatality rate
in humans has not been previously described for the swine bacterial infection.
- Boxun reports indicate that the etiological agent is
a strain of Ebola identified in Shenzen province in April. It has been
designated EB-SZ77. Ebola that can infect poultry, pigs, and humans is
cause for concern because of circulation H5N1 bird flu which can infect
all three species. The Ebola env gene has a short region of homology with
H5 in H5N1, raising concerns of additional recombination.
Mounting Death Toll In Sichuan, China Due to Ebola-SZ77 ?
- By Dr. Henry L. Niman, PhD
- Asked sickness pig's symptom, the old farmer long sighed
the tone, "these pigs die well are pitiful, belly drum swollen, talks
back spits the foam!"
- At in a Lezhi County rural fair teahouse, we had found
a village cadre. He said that, sickness pig mainly appears in the Yanjiang
area: Danshan town, Lezhi County and Jianyang city. The capital positive
city has been clear about the pig, the cow, the sheep, the chicken, the
duck which the request dies of illness and so on must completely deeply
bury, simultaneously to arises the region strict blockade, the domestic
animal, domesticated fowl does not permit the outflow. "Our there
day before yesterday has buried 5 pigs, yesterday has buried 3 heads."
- The above machine translation of a detailed report on
the Sichuan outbreak suggests many pigs are dying. Media reports suggest
FAO is not investigating because animals are not dying. A boxun report
indicate the number of dead people is about 31. Seventeen have died in
hospitals and 14 more suspect cases have died on farms.
- Although reporters are being told the etiological agent
is Streptococcus suis group C, the number of human cases worldwide for
all groups is less than 100 and none are described as fatal at the Merck
- Thus, although the swine bacteria may be infecting some
pigs, there is little data indicating that the swine bacteria is infecting
humans or other domestic animals.
- Boxun reports cite Ebola strain EB-SZ77 associated with
poultry deaths in Shenzhen in April as the cause of the human infections.
- The sharing of genetic information between Ebola ad H5N1
is another cause for concern. H5N1 has caused an unprecedented bird flu
outbreak in migratory birds at Qinghai Lake.
- Isolation and sequencing of the etiological agent in
the deaths of humans and domestic animals would be useful.
- Fatal Infections In Sichuan, China Due to
- By Dr. Henry L. Niman, PhD
- Recombinomics Commentary
- The virus currently circulating in ZiYang SiCuhan is
thought to be a strain of Ebola. However, both authorities and the press
have been prohibited from alluding it to be so. Even the use of the word
"Ebola" has been banned.
- Although minimal information has been released, many
Chinese believe that the virus circulating in SiChuan is the EB-SZ77 strain
of Ebola that first emerged in ShenZhen , between 19 - 27 May this year.
However, what is puzzling is that this strain has evolved very rapidly
- it can now be transmitted by 3rd party, unlike the other strains which
are only blood borne.
- The above comments are form a translation of a boxun
report indicating that the deaths in Ziyang, southeast of Chengdu in Sichuan
province is due to a rapidly evolving strain of Ebola, EB-SZ77. Earlier
reports by boxun had described a number of Ebola strains in China. In the
earlier report, all isolates were said to be transmitted via blood. However,
EB-SZ77 was capable of transmission to birds.
- If true, all of this would be cause for concern, H5N1
has been reported in pigs in Indonesia, so infection of swine in Suchuan
would be possible in view of its proximity to Qinghai Lake and the recent
bird flu outbreak among migratory water fowl.. Moreover, the unprecedented
die-off of birds at Qingahi Lake due to H5N1 infections raises concerns
about a catastrohic spread of H5N1,
- An 18 nucleotide region of H5 is found in the Ebola env
gene, signaling the exchange of genetic information between H5N1 and Ebola
(the sequence is specific for H5N1 isolates). Variations in sequences between
Ebola or Marburg strains has been noted and Ebola like other viruses can
evolve rapidly via recombination.
- Isolation and sequencing of the virus causing the deaths
in Sichuan Province would be useful.
- Patricia A. Doyle, PhD
- Please visit my "Emerging Diseases" message
board at: http://www.clickitnews.com/ubbthreads/postlist.php?
- Zhan le Devlesa tai sastimasa
- Go with God and in Good Health