- The New Mexico Senate Bill SB 654, to ban aspartame/methanol/formaldehyde,
the neurotoxic artificial sweetener found in 6000 food products. including
a $100,000 appropriation to the Attorney General for enforcement [read
it on the new mexico legislature website] passed a major hurdle in clearing
the committee's committee as germane, so it can proceed without the governor's
message. This means that the Legislative Branch of the New Mexico Legislature
is alive and well, and is willing to move New Mexico Forward without the
Governor's Executive Message! Nonetheless, we would still like the Governor's
- However, the bill faces second major hurdle in Senate
Public Affairs Committee Hearing. Things look challenging because of the
massive array of corporate lobbyists who have already spoken against this
bill, representing Pepsi Cola, Coca Cola, Ajinomoto (world's largest aspartame
and monosodium glutamate manufacturer), the "Calorie Control Council,"
the New Mexico Soft Drink Association, etc.
- Please come testify about 3:00-4:00 P.M.,if you can,
and bring a letter stating your support of the bill, if you can.
- Also call (505) 986-4300 in the A.M., ask to be connected
to their office, leave as message asking them to vote a "do-pass"
to SB 654, and one reason why, then get the fax # and send fax to each
respective fax #, ONE ADDRESSED TO EACH PERSON. THANK YOU FOR DOING THIS....
- Every single one of these people has read Dr. H.J. Roberts'
article: Aspartame Disease: An FDA Approved Epidemic.
- You will be speaking with their secretaries, asking them
to take a personal message to the Senator on the Senate floor in the morning,
before the afternoon hearing.
- For letters, please Fax (505) 986-4280. This is the Senate
Chief Clerk's fax #; please send a brief cover note to Margaret Larragoite
asking her to be so kind as to take your message to the Senators listed
- Senator Dede Feldman Chair, Senate Public Affairs Committee
- Senator Mary Jane M. Garcia Vice Chair
- Senator Steve Komadina
- Senator Stuart Ingle Secretary Cathy Rivera Rivera
- Senator Gay G. Kernan
- Senator Steven P. Neville
- Senator Ortiz y Pino Democrat, Bill sponsor: no need
to fax him!
- Senator Mary Kay Papen
- Senator James G. Taylor
- Stephen Fox
- 505 983-2002