- If you belong to ANY Yahoo Groups - be aware that Yahoo
is now using "Web Beacons" to track every Yahoo Group user.
It's similar to cookies, but allows Yahoo to record every website and every
group you visit, even when you're not connected to Yahoo.
- Look at their updated privacy statement at http://privacy.yahoo.com/privacy.
- About half-way down the page, in the section on cookies,
you will see a link that says WEB BEACONS.
- Click on the phrase "Web Beacons." On the
page that opens, find a paragraph entitled "Outside the Yahoo Network."
- In that section find a little "Click Here to Opt
Out" link that will let you "opt-out" of their snooping.
Be careful! NOT to click on the next button shown. It is an "Opt
Back In" button that, if clicked, will UNDO the opt-out.
- Note that Yahoo's invasion of your privacy - and your
ability to opt-out of it - is not user-specific. It is MACHINE specific.
That means you will have to opt-out on every computer (and browser) you
- Please forward this to your other groups. You might complain,
too, but I'm not sure if anyone is listening..
- Related article:
- Yahoo Web Beacons Igniting Controversy Yahoo's current
their use of so-called 'web beacons'. Known in most circles as web bugs,
these invisible images are embedded in websites and email and used to track
your surfing - and even tell whether you've opened a particular email.
- Smash The State WWW
- Yahoo! Groups Links