- STROKE RECOGNITION
- During a BBQ a friend stumbled and took
a little fall - she assured everyone that she was fine (they offered to
call paramedics) and just tripped over a brick because of her new shoes.
They got her cleaned up and got her a new plate of food - while she appeared
a bit shaken up, Ingrid went about enjoying herself the rest of the evening.
Ingrid's husband called later telling everyone that his wife had been taken
to the hospital - (at 6:00pm, Ingrid passed away.) She had suffered a stroke
at the BBQ - had they known how to identify the signs of a stroke perhaps
Ingrid would be with us today.
- It only takes a minute to read this-
- ----- A neurologist says that if he can
get to a stroke victim within 3 hours he can totally reverse the effects
of a stroke...totally. He said the trick was getting a stroke recognized,
diagnosed and getting to the patient within 3 hours which is tough.
- RECOGNIZING A STROKE
- 3 steps. Read and Learn!
- Sometimes symptoms of a stroke are difficult
to identify. Unfortunately, the lack of awareness spells disaster. The
stroke victim may suffer brain damage when people nearby fail to recognize
the symptoms of a stroke.
- Now doctors say a bystander can recognize
a stroke by asking three simple questions:
- 1. *Ask the individual to SMILE.
- 2. *Ask him or her to RAISE BOTH ARMS.
- 3. *Ask the person to SPEAK A SIMPLE
SENTENCE (Coherently) (i.e. . It is sunny out today) If he or she has trouble
with any of these tasks, call 9-1-1 immediately and describe the symptoms
to the dispatcher.
- After discovering that a group of non-medical
volunteers could identify facial weakness, arm weakness and speech problems,
researchers urged the general public to learn the three questions. They
presented their conclusions at the American Stroke Association's annual
meeting last February. Widespread use of this test could result in prompt
diagnosis and treatment of the stroke and prevent brain damage.
- A cardiologist says if everyone who gets
this e-mail sends it to 10 people; you can bet that at least one life will
- BE A FRIEND AND SHARE THIS ARTICLE WITH
AS MANY FRIENDS AS POSSIBLE, you could save their lives.