- IThere never was any doubt of the Bush Regime's complicity
in Israel's naked aggression against the Lebanese civilian population.
Bush has protected Israel from world condemnation. Bush has blocked those
who attempted to bring a stop to Israel's bombing of residential neighborhoods
and civilian infrastructure, and now Bush rushes more bombs for Israel
to drop on Lebanon.
- On July 22, the New York Times revealed the full extent
of the Bush Regime's participation in the heinous war crimes being inflicted
on the Lebanese people: "The Bush administration is rushing a delivery
of precision-guided bombs to Israel, which requested the expedited shipment
last week after beginning its air campaign. . . . The decision to quickly
ship the weapons to Israel was made with relatively little debate within
the Bush administration, the officials said."
- Obviously, Bush and his government do not think Israel
has yet murdered enough Lebanese. Bush denounces Syria and Iran for
allegedly arming Hezbollah, while he rushes more deadly weapons to Israel.
- The entire world is appalled at the Bush Regime's support
for Israel's policy of expanding its borders through naked aggression.
- Every Arab and Muslim now knows that the US is Israel's
enabler. Arab hopes are dead that the US will pressure Israel to behave
more humanely toward people not armed with American fighter planes, tanks,
and high explosives.
- America's complicity in Israel's war crimes is more than
America's UK lapdog can stand. According to the French news service, AFP,
"The United States is starting to look isolated in its refusal to
rein in Israel's attacks on Lebanon with key ally Britain criticizing the
wholesale killing of Lebanese civilians and widespread destruction."
- AFP reports that Britain's deputy foreign minister Kim
Howells "questioned Israel's military tactics and slammed Israel's
killing of 'so many children and so many people. If Israel is chasing Hezbollah,
then go for Hezbollah. You don't go for the entire Lebanese nation.'"
- But is Israel after Hezbollah or is Israel after the
real estate that comprises southern Lebanon?
- Rightwing Israelis say Israel needs southern Lebanon
as a buffer against Hezbollah. If Israel were to succeed in driving Hezbollah
out of southern Lebanon, Israel would then want a buffer for southern Lebanon,
where Israeli settlements would quickly spring up, And after that buffer,
another, just as Israel has gobbled up Palestine.
- The American people need to understand what everyone
else in the world understands: The Bush Regime is empowering the Israeli
state to push out its borders by stealing land from other people.
- This Israeli policy is the source of the Middle East
- It is ignorant and immoral to blame the conflict on Hamas
and Hezbollah. These organizations were created by Israeli aggression.
Lacking American jet fighters, tanks, ordinance, and resupply, these organizations
resort to terror, which is the only weapon that they have. Otherwise,
the world would pay no attention as Arabs are ground under by Israeli expansion.
- The fault is America's more than Israel's. The
American government and the brainwashed American public are the source
of the conflict. If America did not enable Israeli aggression, Israel
would have to behave responsibly and endeavor to co-exist with its neighbors.
- Israel is an artificial state created in Arab lands by
European colonial powers after World War II. Instead of working to win
acceptance and overcoming Arab hostility to Europe shipping off "the
Jewish problem" to the Middle East, Israel has antagonized its Middle
East neighbors. Israel can play the bully-boy role, because the US acts
as Israel's big brother. With its policy of fang and claw, Israel endangers
its own right to exist.
- Many distinguished Israelis came to this conclusion long
before I did. I am only repeating what can be read in more eloquent
writings of distinguished Israelis.
- Israel's greatest friends are its own peace movement
and those few in America who dare to criticize Israel's self-destructive
policies. It is not anti-semitic to hold Israel to the same standards
as other civilized countries or to report facts instead of Israeli propaganda.
- Israel's greatest enemies are the American neoconservatives,
who hold the power in the Bush Regime. What we are witnessing in
the Middle East is the unfolding of the neocon plan to destroy all vestiges
of Arab/Muslim independence and to remove all opposition to Israel's agenda.
Can five million Israelis, even when backed by the United States, forever
suppress hundreds of millions of humiliated Muslims stewing in their humiliation?
- This is a recipe for perpetual conflict and the eventual
destruction of Israel.
- Neocons believe that deception of the American public
is a legitimate way for them to achieve their plan. Bush's so-called
"war on terror" is the cloak for neocon deception.
- Bush's war is not on terror. Bush's war is on Muslim
states not ruled by American puppets.
- Paul Craig Roberts was Assistant Secretary of the Treasury
in the Reagan administration. He is coauthor of The Tyranny of Good Intentions.
- He can be reached at: firstname.lastname@example.org