- An acquaintance of mine in Lebanon just sent me this
- "A friend of mine just called and told me of a massacre:
civilian building destroyed in Tyre by Israeli aggression. There, Zouhair
Edde's mother has been killed. Rayaan Qudsi has been killed along with
her two daughters. This is a conservative number of martyrs thus far. This
building is where refugees typically hide."
- This is but an infinitesimal example of what is being
carried out by the Israeli military apparatus against the civilian population
of Lebanon on an hourly basis.
- The official lines of the US and Israeli governments
are that the destruction in Lebanon and Gaza are due to two Israeli soldiers
being taken prisoner. This incredible display of willful amnesia omits
the fact that at least 9,000 Palestinians are currently being held in Israeli
prisons, 1,000 of which have had no charges brought against them. It also
conveniently omits the fact that over 14,000 Iraqis are languishing in
US prisons inside Iraq, most of whom have been charged with approximately
- While the slaughter of innocents continues unabated,
we must be very clear as to who is responsible for creating the conditions
for it. "Israel has been the largest recipient of US foreign aid every
year since 1976," Frida Berrigan, a senior research associate at the
Arms Trade Resource Center at the World Policy Institute in New York told
Inter Press Service recently.
- On top of providing Israel with billions of dollars of
sophisticated weaponry, in 2005 alone the US provided the Israeli government
$2.2 billion. This amount is expected to increase incrementally in the
- Israel has the largest fleet of F-16 fighter jets in
the world, outside of the US. Thanks to the US, these deadly warplanes
are responsible for most of the death and destruction we've seen thus far
in Lebanese cities, suburbs, and ports.
- Most of the critical infrastructure of Lebanon has been
reduced to smoldering ruins, as countless Lebanese are now living by generators
and scavenging for food wherever possible. Bombings have included electrical
stations, fuel storage depots, gas stations, hospitals, ambulance convoys,
ports, factories, bridges and roads. As of this writing, the death toll
in Lebanon is now over 350, all but 14 of which were civilians. There are
over 1,000 wounded.
- It's called collective punishment. It is a war crime.
It is a grave breach of the Geneva Conventions.
- An entire country is being collectively punished while
the world sits by and watches.
- The US military did it and continues to do it as you
read this in Iraq, and now the Israeli military, after practicing it for
decades in the occupied territories of Palestine, is carrying out this
tactic /en masse/ against the country and people of Lebanon.
- Let me be clear about which international laws are being
violated by the Israelis.
- Article 51 from the 1949 Geneva Conventions states, very
clearly, that, "The civilian population as such, as well as individual
civilians, shall not be the object of attack. Acts or threats of violence
the primary purpose of which is to spread terror among the civilian population
- Al-Jazeera, who has been doing a remarkable job of covering
the catastrophic situation in Lebanon, had one of their journalists shot
in the leg while reporting in Israel. Jazeera showed the footage-of his
colleague in front of the camera jumping out of the way so as not to be
run down by an Israeli military vehicle-then she raced over with others
to assist her shot colleague into an ambulance. The day before, Jazeera
reported on the convoy of ambulances, along with civilian cars, being bombed
by the Israelis.
- Israeli warplanes are bombing ambulances and cars in
- The Geneva Conventions clearly specify that, "/Indiscriminate
attacks are prohibited/."
- According to Protocol I, Article 85, Section 3 of the
Geneva Conventions, "An indiscriminate attack affecting the civilian
population or civilian objects and resulting in excessive loss of life,
injury to civilians or damage to civilian objects is a grave breach of
the Geneva Conventions."
- Hezbollah militants are also guilty of war crimes by
targeting civilians in Israel, where at least 12 have been killed by their
indiscriminate rocket attacks into Haifa and other locations. However,
12 Israeli military personnel have been killed by Hezbollah attacks. Thus,
Hezbollah fighters have been approximately 50% accurate in their attacks
against the Israeli military, when in contrast the Israeli military, according
to latest figures, have killed 14 Lebanese soldiers, lending a 4% accuracy
rate by comparison. Overall, for every one Israeli killed, 14 Lebanese
- This disparity is due to the fact that people like the
prime minister of Israel, George W. Bush and "Democrats" like
Hillary Clinton clearly do not value the lives of the Lebanese people on
par with those of Israelis.
- Underscoring this stance are the recent remarks of the
UN "Ambassador" for the US, John Bolton-who the Jewish lobby
group JINSA nominated for the 2006 Nobel Peace Prize.
- Bolton told reporters that there was no moral equivalence
between Lebanese civilian casualties generated by Israeli air raids and
Israelis killed by "malicious terrorist acts," as if there is
a difference in these two "terrorist acts."
- "I think it would be a mistake to ascribe moral
equivalence to civilians who die as the direct result of malicious terrorist
acts," he said.
- Recently at the northern border of Lebanon and Syria,
a 25 year-old American social studies teacher who was staying with his
family in downtown Beirut before fleeing for the border, told me, "Everything
is being bombed. It's a terror! We've literally been terrorized!"
- The teacher, Abdul Rahman, added, "We have not slept
for three days because we were living in terror and never new when the
Israelis would bomb us since they were hitting everything. If they want
to hit Hezbollah, let them hit Hezbollah, but not the civilians-but civilians
are all that they are hitting!"
- Article 48 from the 1949 Geneva Conventions states that
the "basic rule" of the Geneva Conventions is to protect the
- "In order to ensure respect for and protection of
the civilian population and civilian objects, the Parties to the conflict
shall at all times distinguish between the civilian population and combatants
and between civilian objects and military objectives and accordingly shall
direct their operations only against military objectives."
- Bolton also said, in defense of the Israeli military,
"It's simply not the same thing to say that it's the same act to deliberately
target innocent civilians, to desire their deaths, to fire rockets and
use explosive devices or kidnapping versus the sad and highly unfortunate
consequences of self-defense."
- Cannot the same be said of Hezbollah?
- Bolton went on to show his true colors-that the lives
of westerners are of value, whereas the lives of the Lebanese are not.
He was asked to comment on the deaths of eight Canadian citizens as the
result of an Israeli air strike. "it is a matter of great concern
to us ...that /these/ [emphasis mine] civilian deaths are occurring. It's
- The Canadians had three of their Lebanese relatives die
as well, but Bolton wasn't speaking about /those/ deaths.
- Let me clear about this-Bolton is a war criminal. Cheney/Bush,
with their shameless aiding and abetting of the Israeli military and Prime
Minister Olmerts' policy in Gaza and Lebanon, are war criminals and should
be treated as such. Several other past US presidents, including Bill Clinton
and his golfing buddy Bush Senior, are war criminals for this same aiding
- Others who aid and abet and cheerlead, like the corporate
media in the US, are Hillary Clinton, Joe Lieberman, Condoleeza Rice and
Donald Rumsfeld, to name but a select few.
- The slaughter continues day and night. Today, in one
air strike alone, Israeli warplanes killed 13 civilians, all from two families
in southern Lebanon. Nine of the dead were children.
- It's going to continue for at probably "a few weeks,"
according to Israels' deputy army chief, Major General Moshe Kaplinsky.
"We need more time to complete our very clear goals. When we fight
terror it is a war that needs to be very accurate, very schematic and it
takes time," he said hypocritically in his radio address, before adding
that a ground invasion of Lebanon was not being ruled out.
- "Very accurate," he says.
- On Tuesday, Israeli air raids struck the Christian coastal
town of Byblos north of Beirut and the eastern city of Baalbek.
- At the northern border I also interviewed a man named
Abud Aziz, a 31 year-old Lebanese pastry chef from Beirut who carried his
suitcase under a sweltering sun as he crossed the border into Syria for
refuge. Having just fled Beirut, Aziz told me, "Lebanon is in a terrible
state. I left everything but some cash and the clothes on my back. I ran
for my life because of the hellish bombing!"
- Aziz said there was no water or electricity since yesterday,
anyone who could was leaving Beirut for the borders or mountains, and the
bombing from Israeli war planes was rampant. "Yesterday I saw two
hospitals bombed with my own eyes," he told me, "Nobody who remains
in Beirut can be safe. No way."
- A 25 year-old construction worker named Hamed also told
me he witnessed war planes bomb a hospital in Beirut. "I left just
hours ago, and I saw them bomb a hospital yesterday. They are bombing everything-houses,
casinos, fuel stations and so many bridges."
- "Very accurate," said Kaplinsky.
- In 1946, in Nuremberg, an American Judge wrote: "To
initiate a war of aggression, therefore, is not only an international crime;
it is the supreme international crime differing only from other war crimes
in that it contains within itself the accumulated evil of the whole.
- And this is exactly what Israel is doing in Lebanon.
And this war of aggression which "contains within itself the accumulated
evil of the whole" is being aided and abetted by the leaders of the
US government and all those who support them.
- (c)2006 Dahr Jamail.
- All images, photos, photography and text are protected
by United States and international copyright law. If you would like to
reprint Dahr's Dispatches on the web, you need to include this copyright
notice and a prominent link to the http://DahrJamailIraq.com website. Website
by photographer Jeff Pflueger's Photography Media http://jeffpflueger.com
. Any other use of images, photography, photos and text including, but
not limited to, reproduction, use on another website, copying and printing
requires the permission of Dahr Jamail. Of course, feel free to forward
Dahr's dispatches via email.
- More writing, commentary, photography, pictures and images