- Folks who are in the midst of the fields of exposure
may be helped by taking kelp or iodine tablets daily in an effort to protect
endocrine and immune function.
- Kelp and Iodine are controversial, but many holistic
physicians are using this type of treatment. Some researchers, however,
advise that kelp can contain fluoride, so it may be a 'Catch 22'. The
benefit may outweigh the risk is this situation.
- Water soluble iodine or natural nutritional protein bound
iodine tablets are generally more effective and safer than Potassium Iodide.
- Diabetes in this case may develop from loss of function
of the thyroid gland, which in turn effects function of all other endocrine
glands, including the pancreas. High quality digestive enzymes and other
natural pancreatic support may be helpful.
- Dry Skin Brushing follow with a 30 minute tub of hot
water with 4 to 5 pounds of pure sea salt and 1-2 cups of miso broth added.
Drink 1-cup miso broth while soaking for thirty minutes, Finish with a
- Sea salt and Baking soda baths: 50/50 mix - is helpful
to re-balance the body after exposure to radiation.
- Some treatments can be adapted for use in the field.
- Red Clover and Chaparral Tea helps cleanse the blood,
and it seems to benefit lymphoma type reactions.
- Dandelion herb helps the liver and kidneys. It is high
in minerals and especially vitamin A. Any help to these organs of elimination
is beneficial. Dandelion root is especially helpful to keep blood sugar
- Eleuthero or what is called Siberian ginseng helps support
the adrenal glands. Other help for these glands are vitamin C and bee
pollen. These glands are the 'fight or flight' center of your body and
are often exhausted in stress.
- Alfalfa and spirulina may also be good to use for general
- Five Flower Remedy and Yarrow Environmental Formula are
flower essence remedies that help in anxiety and panic (Five Flower) and
environmental over exposure (YES).
- Thyroid testing is an important diagnostic tool. Sadly
most physicians do not order the correct set of tests to thoroughly evaluate
thyroid function. This panel should at least be - ultrasensitive TSH,
Free T3 and Free T4. One cannot accurately 'infer' the T3 level from TSH
and T4 as many doctors claim. If immune dis-orders such as lupus and others
are suspected then a reverse T3 is necessary (rT3).
- The current range for TSH, since 2003, is 0.3 - 3.2.
The optimal rage is 1.5 to 2. If the reading is high you tend to have
low thyroid, if opposite you tend to have hyperthyroid. Home kits for
thyroid evaluations are available through my office.
- Avoid any products containing aspartame, acesulfame K
- Please know that each individual responds to this type
of environmental trauma differently. For the best results it is important
to treat each person accordingly, and in relation to their symptoms.
- Please refer to these web pages for more information
- By Gayle Eversole, DHom, PhD, MH, NP, ND
- The Leaflady
- For more information on the usefullness of Iodine, go