- As America grows by 3,000,000 people annually on its
way to adding 100 million people in the next 34 years, our planet home
grows by 80 million people each year and will add another 2.1 billion by
- In order to drive cars, boats, planes and fuel industry,
Americans use 20 million barrels of oil each day while the rest of the
world burns 62 million barrels. That equals 82 million barrels of
oil every 24 hours!
- When you multiply 365 days X's 82,000,000 barrels of
oil burned daily, it equals a whopping 29.9 billion barrels of oil annually.
- If you remember your science, it took two billion years
to produce all the oil on this planet. In other words, when oil reserves
burn up, we're out of the single major energy source that drives our society
and most other societies on this planet.
- How much is 20 million barrels of oil? Dr. John
Tanton, publisher of The Social Contract at www.thesocialcontract.com,
wrote a piece, "How Many Is Twenty Million?"
- "In this age of millions, billions and trillions,
it's hard to understand such numbers," Dr. Tanton said. "Twenty
million is the number of barrels of oil we burn in the United States each
- That's 42 gallons to each barrel (drum) at 30 inches
tall and 20 inches in diameter, or 840,000,000 gallons burned per day.
It works out, according to Dr. Tanton's figures, to three gallons of oil
per day per person in the USA. (Source: The Social Contract, winter 2004-05,
- He said, "Suppose we took 20 million barrels and
stood them side-by-side. How long a line of barrels would that make?
Let's do the math: 20 inches/barrel multiplied by 20 million barrels equals
400,000,000 inches. Divide that by 12 inches/foot, and you get 33,333,333
feet. Divide that by 5,280 feet per mile, and that comes out to 6,313
- Dr. Tanton figured that would make a string of barrels,
"reaching from Seattle to Los Angeles (1,157 miles), from Los Angeles
to Chicago (2,134 miles), from Chicago to Miami (1,377 miles), from Miami
to New York City (1,281 miles), and from New York City to Cleveland (486
miles). Total mileage, 6,435."
- "That's how much oil we burn in the USA each day,"
Tanton said. "The total global consumption daily rate of 82
million would be four times this amount, or 25,000 miles-the circumference
of the globe at the equator!"
- Dr. Tanton asks a sobering question, "How much longer
can this go on?"
- The simple, unadulterated answer is: not much longer.
- You may want to read, "Out of Gas: The End of the
Age of Oil" by David Goodstein. He is a professor of physics at California
Institute of Technology.
- We used energy from the wind, sun, animals and rivers
for centuries. Two hundred years ago, we became addicted to finite oil.
"We have unintentionally created a trap for ourselves," Goodstein
said. "If we turn to coal and natural gas, the resultant increase
in atmospheric carbon dioxide may make Earth uninhabitable. Even
if human life does go on, civilization as we know it will not survive,
unless we can find a way to live without fossil fuels."
- World oil extraction expects to peak in a decade.
Goodstein, ever precise in his research, shows that those hoping for other
fuels and substitutes to replace oil dangle their hopes by hanging from
a thread over a cliff with no net or parachute. Societies as large
as humans have created based on
- oil, cannot-and will not--survive.
- Even if huge oil deposits are discovered, it won't help
much. Our expanding populations gobble them up. China stands
on the verge of an industrial revolution of proportions based on 1.3 billion
people. They expect to place a car in every Chinaman's garage.
With our 300 million Americans using 20 million barrels of oil daily, you're
talking four times that amount in China. If you look at the growth
rates of 2.1 billion added to the planet by mid century, oil reserves don't
stand a chance. We're all screwed, or, at least our children are
- Goodstein said, "Fossil fuels have increased the
concentration of carbon dioxide from 275 parts per million before the Industrial
Revolution to 370 parts per million today. Continued burning will
raise it to 550 by century's end, with dire consequences as to global warming."
- We shall deal with global warming in this series.
However, for those that scoff at it, they cannot persist with denial that
nothing is happening to the planet when we burn 82 million barrels of oil
daily as well as millions of cords of wood, natural gas and coal that warm
our houses. Our extreme use of energy hastens extreme consequences.
- What can we do? Goodstein said, "The best,
most effective way to ameliorate the coming fuel crisis is to improve existing
technologies for efficiency."
- We can deny, bury our heads or pretend it's not coming,
but the end of this Age of Oil threatens our civilization. It's coming
as surely as the tsunami that hit Sri Lanka; it's as certain as Katrina
hitting New Orleans.
- What are you going to do about it? What can we
as a society do about it? Let's demand two and four cylinder cars
as the standard from Ford, Chevrolet, Buick, Toyota, Honda and all other
automobile manufacturers. We don't need six and eight cylinder cars.
We sure as heck don't need Hummers, Ford Expeditions, SUV's of any kind,
Winnebago's, Prevost's and other land yachts that get five miles to the
gallon. We need more mass transit in our cities. We might start
charging $10.00 a gallon for eight cylinder engines, $8.00 a gallon for
six cylinder engines, $3.00.00 a gallon for four cylinders and $2.00 a
gallon for two cylinder cars. That kind of negative incentive would
also bring positive incentive to inspire the auto industry into faster
gear to create 100 mile to the gallon cars!
- Additionally, "flex-fuels" already work from
sugarcane fields in Brazil and Argentina. It's amazing they refined
their ethanol fuels ahead of U.S. manufacturers. Why do you suppose
that's happened? Follow the money! U.S. auto manufacturers
drag their feet while kicking and screaming into the oil shortages of the
- Again, instead of growing our population via immigration
by three million annually on our way to adding 100 million Americans in
34 years, we must demand an immigration moratorium; national population
policy and lead the world toward an international population policy that
will allow future generations a viable and sustainable future.
- To ignore our realities condemns them to the same consequences
that befell the civilization and children of Easter Island. It's
that simple and that brutal.
- "The oil crisis may not hit until the next decade
or the one following, but it will hit." David Goodstein
- What you can do to change America for the better:
- Awareness Campaign web site, www.mcs-global.org, which
is purely to help save and protect human health and environmental health
globally. Diana Buckland is founder and global coordinator at email@example.com
or firstname.lastname@example.org Diana makes impact all over the world.
- From Part 5 of this series, "Destroying our oceans",
if you would like to become involved please refer to www.savetheoceans.org
for a first rate lesson on how to take action in order to cleanse our oceans,
restock our fish population, move toward recycling and cleanup of our world's
most important living resource. Watch shows on PBS that expose where we
threw two million tires into the waters off the East Coast and all the
damage those tires are doing to marine life. You'll find out what you can
do to have them raised from the deep. Additionally, check out www.greenpeace.org
for actions at the national and international levels.
- To reduce illegal aliens in your community, you may follow
the course of action by Mayor Louis Barletta of Hazelton, PA. He
offers a bomb proof ordinance that takes business licenses away from those
who hire illegals. He legally halts landlords from renting to illegals.
Without work and without housing, illegals cannot stay in your community.
Check out his website for instructions: www.SmallTownDefenders.com/public/node/6
- Visit D.A. King at the www.thedustininmansociety.org
to see how Georgia created the best laws to stop illegals at the state
- Please check out William Gheen at www.alipac.us.
He's a mover and shaker. He will direct you to specific actions that make
you more powerful and effective.
- To stop this invasion locally and nationally: join www.numbersusa.com
for free and you can join www.fairus.org and www.thesocialcontract.com
- Wooldridge presents a 45 minute program to colleges,
high schools, civic clubs, church groups and political clubs across America
titled: "COMING POPULATION CRISIS IN AMERICA: WHAT YOU CAN DO ABOUT
IT". Go to his website for further information on booking the
- To make visual impact: Additionally, we have 300
remaining Paul Revere Ride T-shirts left that feature: "Stop
Illegal Immigration" on the front and the very cool "21st
- Century Paul Revere Ride" logo on the back with
web sites. You are invited to support the PRR. Send donations
- Century Paul Revere Ride at POB 207, Louisville, CO
- www.21stCenturyPaulRevereRide.us ; www.numbersusa.com
; www.carryingcapacity.org ; www.balance.org ; www.thesocialcontract.com ;
www.alipac.us at 1 866 329 3999; www.theamericanresistance.com ; www.ccir.net
; www.theByteShow.com ; www.projectusa.org ; www.borderguardians.org
; www.immigrationwatchcanada.org ; www.mothersagainstillegalaliens.org
; www.unitedpatriotsofamerica.com ; www.unitedstates.fm ; www.worldfreedomtour.info
; My book: "IMMIGRATION'S UNARMED INVASION: DEADLY CONSEQUENCES"
Call: 1 888 280 7715. http://www.TiANews.com www.victimsofillegalaliens.org
; www.pacinlaw.org; http://USABorderAlert.com/http://SanDiegoBorderAlert.com
; For motorcyclists:
- www.americanfreedomriders.com and www.immigrationbuzz.com
- Frosty Wooldridge possesses a unique view of the world,
cultures and families in that he has bicycled around the globe 100,000
miles, on six continents and six times across the United States in the
past 30 years. He presents a program to colleges, conferences, high schools
and civic clubs around the country: "THE COMING POPULATION CRISIS
IN AMERICA: WHAT YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT". His published books include:
"HANDBOOK FOR TOURING BICYCLISTS" ; "STRIKE THREE! TAKE
YOUR BASE" ; "IMMIGRATION'S UNARMED INVASION: DEADLY CONSEQUENCES"
; "MOTORCYCLE ADVENTURE TO ALASKA: INTO THE WIND-A TEEN NOVEL"
; "BICYCLING AROUND THE WORLD: TIRE TRACKS FOR YOUR IMAGINATION"
; "AN EXTREME ENCOUNTER: ANTARCTICA". His next book: "TILTING
THE STATUE OF LIBERTY INTO A SWAMP". He lives in Denver,
Colorado. email@example.com www.frostywooldridge.com