- Hello Jeff - Is there any wonder why people are experiencing
antibiotic-resistant pathogens when we ingest all sorts of antibiotics
in our meat and milk? Some people, like myself, are deathly allergic
to penicillin and we certainly do not need it in our food. Meat
and dairy are best cut from our diets.
- Drug Residue Found In Dairy Cow Tissue In
- FDA Takes Action Against Iowa Dairy
- The Dairy Herd
- An investigation into illegal drug residues by the Food
and Drug Administration (FDA) has led to a permanent injunction being filed
against an Iowa dairy.
- Last week [8 Aug 2007], a Complaint and Consent Decree
of Permanent Injunction was filed in the U.S. District Court for the Northern
District of Iowa, Western Division, against Ysselstein Dairy Inc., Rock
- The injunction is based on 9 illegal residues in the
edible tissue of 7 dairy cows sampled by the U.S. Department of Agriculture's
Food Safety Inspection Service (FSIS) between 21 Jul 1992, and 10 Mar 2006.
The drug residues found by FSIS included antibiotics such as tetracycline,
sulfadimethoxine, flunixin, oxytetracycline, and penicillin at levels
not permitted by the FDA.
- The FDA is concerned about the sale of animals for human
food that may contain illegal levels of animal drugs because of the potential
for adverse effects on human health. The FDA approves new animal drugs
with requirements, including a specified time period to withdraw an animal
from treatment prior to slaughter, to ensure that a drug has been depleted
from edible tissue to a level safe for humans.
- Under the terms of the consent decree, the dairy must
implement systems to identify animals, keep accurate records, maintain
drug control, drug accountability, and drug residue withdrawal control.
Furthermore, if the dairy is found to not be in compliance with the terms
of the decree or the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act, the FDA may
require the dairy to cease operations until they are in compliance. The
dairy also can be fined. To read the full press release, go to:
- Patricia A. Doyle DVM, PhD
- Bus Admin, Tropical Agricultural Economics
- Univ of West Indies
- Please visit my "Emerging Diseases" message
- Also my new website:
- Zhan le Devlesa tai sastimasa
- Go with God and in Good Health