- 1916: E.W. Maunder suggested alien visitations in "A
Strange Celestial Visitor" Observatory, 39 (1916): 213-214
- 1919: Charles Fort suggested alien visitations in The
Book of the Damned.
- 1954: Dr Herman Oberth suggested alien visitations
in Flying Saucers Come from a Distant World (The American Weekly,
October 24, 1954)
- 1955: Morris K. Jessup suggested alien visitations
in The Case for UFOs
- 1957: George Hunt Williamson suggested alien visitations
in The Saucers Speak
- 1957: Peter Kolosimo suggested alien visitations in Il
- 1958: Henri Lhote suggested alien visitations in The
Search for the Tassili Frescoes
- 1959: Matest M. Agrest suggested alien visitations in Astronauts
- 1959: Jacques Bergier suggested alien visitations in
Morning of the Magicians
- 1960: Brinsley Le Poer Trench suggested alien visitations
in The Sky People
- 1964: W. Raymond Drake suggested alien visitations
in Gods or Spacemen?
- 1966: Charles H. Gibbs-Smith suggested alien visitations
in May interview (Victoria & Albert Museum)
- 1967: Brad Steiger published the booklet The Flying Saucer Menace which
states that beings from other planets visited Earth and formed an antediluvian
global culture. Steiger consolidated previous writers in this area and
gives them due credit. The booklet received world-wide distribution.
Steiger began to form basis for an expanded book on this subject which
he decided to call Atlantis Rising.
- 1968: Erich Von Daniken published Erinnerungen an
die Zukunft (Chariots of the Gods?) in German which draws from most of
the themes expressed in The Flying Saucer Menace. Von Daniken acts
as if he were the originator of the ancient astronaut theory. Steiger
completed initial draft of Atlantis Rising and submits it to publisher.
- 1968-70: Steiger's publisher mysteriously delays release
of Atlantis Rising and Steiger expanded the book until 1970 adding new
- 1970: Documentary based on Chariots of the Gods? gets
Oscar nomination and book is translated into English and becomes best seller.
- 1972: Critics begin to punch holes into Von Daniken's
deceptive and misleading scholarship.
- 1973: After five years of delays Atlantis Rising
is finally released and revives interest in the ancient astronaut theory.
Steiger's scholarship is outstanding and the book becomes a best seller.
- 1973-2005: Over 2500 books appear which deal with Atlantisology
most of which draw heavily from Atlantis Rising.
- 2006: Von Däniken files for bankruptcy when his
Swiss UFO theme park fails to attract tourists.
- 2007: Galde Press publishes reissue of Atlantis
- Galde Press Atlantis Rising Page
- Amazon Atlantis Rising Page